Auto update in enterprise environment

Hello,

we use the version x7.0.1 (17.0.0.7072) and we get the informationen that there is a new version available.

How can we deactivate this looking for update option?

Our users dont have admin rights on their systems and they can click on “download and install” button and get error cause they arent allow to install software.

There is a registry info with the name “CHECKFORUPDATE” = None

But this isnt the right one or not used for endnote?

Please help!

Greets

Janosch

Our organization also needs to be able to turn off auto updating for endnote x7.  This has not been an issue in past version.

Our organization also needs to disable this irritating check for update, as our users don’t have permissions to actually do the update. 

Please give us an answer how to achieve this.

Thanks!

After working with Endnote support they’ve found that there is no way to turn this function off.  This has NEVER been an issues in all the years we’ve been using EndNote.  Also, even the most basic software has an option to turn off auto updating.

I don’t understand why they don’t have anyone answering questions on the forums, but here is what they told me:

“Our Development team has researched your request and they have determined there’s no suitable workaround to disable the auto-updating component of EndNote X7.  I’ve submitted your enhancement request to be taken into consideration for future development plans.”

If anyone happens to find a work around, please post it here.

Hi all,

I found a work around that solved our problem. I used a packet sniffer and found that EndNote was communicating with download.endnote.com. So I had the address blocked by Firewall team here and we are no longer offered the update when closing EndNote X7. 

Wish they realised that when you package software and certify your software installation you can’t let the user just update.

Hope this helps, cause it works wonders for us.

Jack

http://endnote.com/kb/129732

Seems they have implemented a solution that may be of help for some of us in X7.0.2.

Not exactly what I wanted, but if it suppress the update message for non-administrative users it solves the main problem. Haven’t tried it yet myself.

For version X7, setting the registry key below will do the same as the MSI property:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\17]
“USERCANAPPLYUPDATES”=“F”

Kind regards,

Marc Duiker

UMC Utrecht, DW Packaging devision

For version X7, setting the registry key below will do the same as the MSI property:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\17]
“USERCANAPPLYUPDATES”=“F”

Kind regards,

Marc Duiker

UMC Utrecht, DW Packaging division