Disable automatic update checks on Mac OS X

Hi there,

I deploy a site licensed EndNote to the Macs at an educational institution. At present, EndNote seems to check for updates automatically when it is launched. Users with administrative rights are able to download and install the update, while those without cannot. The result is that many of clients are running different versions of the software. This behaviour is also not suitable for a lab environment.

In order to better manage the state of our machines, we would like the ability to disable the automatic update check that EndNote appears to include. We would then be able to deploy updates via our software deployment mechanism when ready, ensuring fleet wide compliance.

Please let me know if this is possible, and whether it will be included in a future EndNote release.

Regards,

Andrew

1 Like

Hi,

Can you provide any advice on this issue? Is this something that the EndNote for Mac dev team are working on, or considering for a future release?

Thanks,

Andrew

@andrewvalentine wrote:

Hi there,

I deploy a site licensed EndNote to the Macs at an educational institution. At present, EndNote seems to check for updates automatically when it is launched. Users with administrative rights are able to download and install the update, while those without cannot. The result is that many of clients are running different versions of the software. This behaviour is also not suitable for a lab environment.

In order to better manage the state of our machines, we would like the ability to disable the automatic update check that EndNote appears to include. We would then be able to deploy updates via our software deployment mechanism when ready, ensuring fleet wide compliance.

Please let me know if this is possible, and whether it will be included in a future EndNote release.

Regards,

Andrew

i have mackbook air and i want to dual boot with windows 7 operating system so how can i do that??

Hi,

I have the same problem and got the following responce from customer support.

I hope future releases include option for disabling auto updates 

At the moment the only solution I found was to add this to your hosts file, 

127.0.0.1   download.endnote.com

Cheers

On 31/12/2016, 3:55 AM, “Clarivate Analytics Customer Care” <rs.support@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

Dear User,

I am sorry about the delay in response.  I have received a reply from our internal team, unlike Windows operating system; it is not possible to disable software update prompts for Mac. I am really sorry about the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Hi,

I have the same problem and got the following responce from customer support.

I hope future releases include option for disabling auto updates 

At the moment the only solution I found was to add this to your hosts file, 

127.0.0.1   download.endnote.com

Cheers

=============

On 31/12/2016, 3:55 AM, “Clarivate Analytics Customer Care” <rs.support@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

Dear User,

I have received a reply from our internal team, unlike Windows operating system; it is not possible to disable software update prompts for Mac. I am really sorry about the inconvenience.

I certainly understand your concern in having this function. To further be of help you in this regard, I will be glad to forward this as a product suggestion to our development team for consideration for future versions.

While I am glad in forwarding your request, I am unable to provide you the exact time frame when this will be implemented as you might already know that the process of including a new feature should undergo various phases like designing, implementation and testing.

Once again, I apologize that I couldn’t be of much help in this.

Please do not hesitate to reply back to this email if you have any further clarifications and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Vishnuram

=======

I know its quite late for response but I used adding entry into hosts file and it worked for me

127.0.0.1 download.endnote.com in hosts file

Still looking for a better workaround (don’t wanna touch hosts file in mass deployment)