Basic bug in Endnote Web

Bug in Endnote Web

Endnote is sending invalid XML.  Perhaps Endnote developers should look at http://www.xml.com/axml/target.html#charsets to learn about XML.

(Why Endnote is sending this SOAP request in the first place is a mystery…)

This can be reproduced with any temporary citation with a soft newline, such as

{endnote,<shift enter>
whatajoke}

then invoke “Update Citations”.

Is there a way to suppress temporary citations?

Hello gback,

We will investigate the error. In the meantime, you can use Find Citations with Instant Formatting enabled in Preferences to avoid manually entering temporary citations.

• Mathilda Edmunds, the EndNote Web team

@medmunds wrote:

Hello gback,

We will investigate the error. In the meantime, you can use Find Citations with Instant Formatting enabled in Preferences to avoid manually entering temporary citations.

• Mathilda Edmunds, the EndNote Web team

I appreciate the suggestion, but it misses the point. I did not enter temporary citations. My document happened to contain something that used a left and a right brace { } and contained a soft newline and a comma. This caused Endnote to fail. As it stands, Endnote Web cannot be used in document that use { }, soft newlines, and comma. That’s a problem.

As a work-around, I replaced the soft newline with a hard newline.

Hello gback - Can you provide some details on how the {} with the soft newline are created within your Word document?

@medmunds wrote:
Hello gback - Can you provide some details on how the {} with the soft newline are created within your Word document?

Please read the post “This can be reproduced by…” for sufficient details.

Thank you for the quick reply. You did provide sufficient information to reproduce this but I was actually asking how the braces and soft newline were generated in the document originally (i.e., manually entered, macro generated, other plug-in, etc…) to understand the workflow better.

Again, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

• Mathilda, the EndNote Web team

Manually entered. They are part of the regular text of my document.

This may or may not help but if you’re using EndNote X2, you can change the delimiters for temporary citations in the Format Bibliography dialog. So instead of using {}, you can use [] or some other characters that are not used in your regular text. EndNote Web only recognizes {} for temporary citations at the moment so this suggestion applies just to using EndNote for Cite While You Write.

• Mathilda, the EndNote Web team