Batch/bulk editing of terms

Hi,

I really like EndNote but there is a serious problem that I am sure costs many users a plethora of combined time! I would like to request the ability to batch/bulk change items in the term lists, that is, to merge multiple or edit singular terms in the Terms Lists. For example, here are five alternative names for the same author:

Giribet, G.

Giribet, G.A.

Giribet, G. A.

Giribet, Gerald A.

Giribet, Gerald Anthony

At the moment, to synonimize the names of these authors I must manually edit each reference. How cumbersome!

Ideally, you could select all five terms and define a new term for them or merge them into an existing term. For singular name changes, i.e. fixing the names of authors or updating their names, the “Edit Term” function should be changed to accomplish this.

Myself and the EndNote community thoroughly look forward to this product improvement.

Best regards,

Michael

To reiterate, when the terms are edited the references are also edited. I.e. changing the author term “Bloggs, J.” to “Bloggs, Joe” changes it’s use for all applicable references.

Applying the term tables such as those used for Journal terms - more generally applicable to author names might be an interesting approach for the developers to consider?  

The challenge would lie in distinguishing J Smith, John Smith and Joan Smith?  If a table had J Smith in one of its columns, what would be used to decide if it is the same as John or the same as Joan, or is it the same as J A Smith or J B Smith? 

In your senario, what if you also had J Bloggs that weren’t Joe?  

Indeed. Although ambiguity exists I would be very cautious when modifying names. First I would search for the briefiest portion of the name “Bloggs, J” (no full stop to encaplusate most uses) and after looking down the Years and Titles I would decide whether to proceed with synonymising author names.

Any update on this EndNote?

I have the same issue, would greatly appreciate a solution other than manual editing! Even just being able to “merge” two authors in an “authors” list…

1 Like

thanks mate. come on endnote!

To reiterate, when the terms are edited the references are also edited. I.e. changing the author term “Bloggs, J.” to “Bloggs, Joe” changes it’s use for all applicable references.

absolutely