Beta Cite While You Write for Word 2011 Now Available

A  beta EndNote X4 Cite While You Write bundle for Word 2011 is now available. If you have contacted us expressing interest in testing, you should receive an email invitation with access details (remember to check your spam folder). Learn more about the public beta.

1 Like

It’s up and running! When I open Word 2011 in a blank document, it isn’t there. (Tried twice.) But if I open a new blank document from the file drop down menu, or open an old file, EndNote appears under the Tools menu. It appears to be functioning properly once it appears. Haven’t really tested it yet, of course. Great news! Thanks!

Please add me to the beta testing list, if possible.

I signed up but never received an email (I checked the spam filter)

Please add me to the list of testers as well.

You do not need to be added to a list to gain access. Simply go to http://www.endnote.com/enword2k7.asp and follow the link for the beta. From there, you will be ask to agree to the beta terms. After agreeing to the terms, you will get an email with a link to the downloadable.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

Thank you for making the beta public.

I installed the CWYW 2011 bundle but I get a “Word could not fire event” error message when I open a file in Word 2011. So far I have not gotten it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

I echo the other comment, thanking you for providing a public beta! I was able to click on the link, went through the process, and finished installing the CWYW for Word 2011.  I have been using it for the past 30 minutes and it has been working great.  I was able to reformat a bibliography I had started in Word 2008 and update references with no problems.  

Can you attach the style file in a reply post? Thanks.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

It’s strange that others are getting it to work but I cannot.

I am using the latest version of Mac OS X (10.6.5) and the latest version of Microsoft Word (14.0.1)

I also have Microsoft office 2008 installed and it works fine with EndNote X4.

Gopool, I don’t know the answer, but would suggest the following as sort of a “shotgun” approach. Go to the startup folder of Word 2011 and remove the EndNote bundle, and put it in the Trash. Re-download the Beta CWYW “bundle” file. I had some problems DLing it the first time–it came across as a xxx.zip.part file in the DL folder. Rename it to xxx.zip, then open it and move the entire bundle to the Word Startup folder again. Close down Word 2008. Re-start Word 2011 and bring up a blank document. You may not see EndNote under Tools at that point. Under the File menu, open a new blank document. For some reason the first blank document doesn’t seem to put EndNote in the Tools menu–maybe it’s a bug. You should then see EndNote in the Tools drop down menu. If you’ve already done all this, or if it still doesn’t work, check the startup folder location pathway for Word 2011 to make sure it isn’t the startup folder for Word 2008, and also that there isn’t anything else in the startup folder that may be interfering. And make sure the bundle is there. Also, don’t try to include Word 2011 (“14”) in the EndNote customizer (under EndNote drop down menu), and don’t check the box in customizer at the top for the CWYW add in. Doing so removes the bundle from the startup folder.

I tried that but it still shows the word could not fire event error message. 

I have tried everything I can think of.

Could it be that I still have office 2008 installed and EndNote is configured to work with it instead of office 2011?

@gopool wrote:

I tried that but it still shows the word could not fire event error message. 

I have tried everything I can think of.

Could it be that I still have office 2008 installed and EndNote is configured to work with it instead of office 2011?

I doubt that Word 2008 has anything to do with it. But you could try uninstalling Office 2008 first, and removing the Word 2008 under “Customizer”. 

That said, I don’t know the answer, but it sounds like corruption–some file, somewhere, in the wrong place, maybe in a library/application support folder or in a cache folder somewhere, something left over from another installation, is causing this. You’ll never find it, in my experience, and you’ll waste a lot of time looking for it. This isn’t a problem inherent either in Word or in EndNote or else others here would be having it.

Your best bet may be to uninstall Office 2011 completely, including removing any application support folders for Office 2011. Put them in the Trash folder. Also, uninstall EndNote 4 completely (not your EN libraries or downloaded styles, etc. , of course), and reinstall it, making sure that the box under “EndNote customizer” for CWYW is unchecked (counter-intuitive, I know), and that Word 2008 and 2011 (“14” ) are not listed under programs associated with EndNote. For Word 2008 to work with EndNote, it has to be listed, but you can do that later.  Then reinstall Office 2011. After that, put the beta “bundle” file back in the Startup folder for Word 2011, and see what happens.

I would suggest rebooting the Mac once after the uninstalls and prior to reinstalling the programs.

This all sounds like a using blunt instrument rather than a scalpel, but again, it’s very difficult to locate the offending culprit file or the setting that’s causing the problem. 

If all this fails, then you have to think about removing your Mac user cache files, but you’d want to talk to Apple support about that, first, if you’re not familiar with it.

Another possibility is to set up a new user on your Mac, install Office 2011 and EndNote 4 de novo, then add the bundle file. If it works under the new user it tells you that the programs themselves are not corrupted.

Thanks a lot for the information.

I uninstalled office 2011 and all it’s associated file and then reinstalled.

I am happy to report that EndNote 4 now works.

However, there seems to be a bug. Endnote X4 does not show up in the menu immediately after word 2011 is launched. It only appears after a new blank document is launched or when an existing file is opened through the File menu.

(update - After opening and closing Word 2011 multiple times, EN X4 appears to be working properly. EN X4 is in the tool menu and the tool bar shows up when the program is launched.)

Thanks a lot for all your help and patience.

@gopool wrote:

However, there seems to be a bug. Endnote X4 does not show up in the menu immediately after word 2011 is launched. It only appears after a new blank document is launched or when an existing file is opened through the File menu.

(update - After opening and closing Word 2011 multiple times, EN X4 appears to be working properly. EN X4 is in the tool menu and the tool bar shows up when the program is launched.)

Glad to hear it’s working, finally. Uninstalling then reinstalling malfunctioning programs, rather than troubleshooting, usually saves time, especially on a Mac where you can get rid of almost all the files. In Windows it can be more problematic because of all the hidden files you can’t get locate and delete.

The bug you mention is there, and now you’re ahead of me (!), since I still have to load a couple of blank or existing files to make EndNote show up in the Tool menu.

It’s a beta version, and if this is the worst bug, we’re in good shape. The basic program seems to be intact.

Hi, this works for me, but only after I disabled the Word menu screen that comes up first when opening Word.  I clicked on the “Don’t show this again” box to disable the screen.  Now, when I start Word, it opens with a blank document, and the Endnote tools show up just fine.

keith

@keith wrote:

Hi, this works for me, but only after I disabled the Word menu screen that comes up first when opening Word.  I clicked on the “Don’t show this again” box to disable the screen.  Now, when I start Word, it opens with a blank document, and the Endnote tools show up just fine.

keith

Agree–that solves the problem.

Thanks for the beta. I haven’t been able to test it extensively, but it seems to be working OK so far.

If I remember correctly, Endnote for the PC version of Office actually adds another tab to the ribbon. Does the Endnote Team for the mac have any plans to do this? I would prefer ribbon integration, but I guess it’s something I could live without if push came to shove.

We were interested in providing the same tab treatment for 2011 as 2010 but in our conversations with Microsoft, we learned that the tab add-in support for third parties was not available in the 2011 version. 

Feel free to submit this as a suggestion to Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx.

Mathilda, the EndNote team

Howdy!

I’m running OSX 10.6.5 and Word 14.0.2

Everything installed exactly as it is supposed to, and when I open a new document the CWYW toolbar opens with the new document.  I did some very basic writing tonight, and could find no errors.

Thanks very much.

Cheers