Bibliography newbie mistakes - can't fix.

Using endnote version 8. Word 2016 with Win 7 64 bit-Style Chicago 15 I think . Not using “cite while you write.”

Sorry this is long. Feel free to answer one problem. I hope I am not the only one on the computer during the Christmas season. I will appreciate your help as have a deadline my typesetter missed.

I have been putting in references since version 4. N ow the big day. The bibliography. Sought support. Dead easy except when I proofed it and wanted to make a change. Eg double author in reference. I tried to fix and ended up with a citation used for a second time. The trouble was I didn’t realise how closely linked the doc remained with my Word doc. I had started one reference list and started a new one. This may have added to my problems

You need to know that when I got my first and last version of endnote I couldn’t hook up to the internet. I had personal expert support from endnote Australia but he no longer has the licence with endnote. I didn’t need it. It was thought that maybe I had too much software on my computer but I didn’t need it. Just saying.

• I deleted more than one reference in word by backspacing. Wrong?
  • I changed reference in edit and ok. It worked and in bibliography. I had taken old ref out (as above) thinking I would get a double reference.

Before I start what are the 5 dots (showings stars mean? I saw them when working but not now. Also what does the dot against the reference mean? I had duplicated my reference list and had to take out duplicates. What is this for? May help in troubleshooting

I have two main problems.

1. Ref not showing in list but found by search. Tried to put into reference but I get a secondary use of the citation.  Ie {Taylor, 1981 #1157

2. If I make a mistake and go back into reference to change is there any need to take the original one out of word?

3. Is there a troubleshooting video or link I can refer to in order to cover all these newbie problems.

Lastly I used “Zotero’ probably to look at colleges. Now it won’t go away.  “Zotero  (vertical line) Home. 

Also do not admonish me about my terminology. I am doing a bibliography in endnote. I used footnotes throughout my document. I tended to wing it and not an expert on putting in my references. Part 2 of my book was mainly newspapers so I will just write a list of them as the book primarily used newspapers. But referenced properly in footnotes. (350 paged)  So my referencing is rudimentary.

Kind regards

I am assuming you are using Endnote X8 ?  Sorry it has been a week since your post, and perhaps you will get help.  Some of your problem may be that there is the travelling library, which may keep an outdated copy of the record hence you get two nearly identical listings even though you deleted/corrected the record in the library itself.  

So trying to sort out what you asking: 

• I deleted more than one reference in word by backspacing. Wrong?  
    If you deleted some of the “grey field” it is possible you corrupted the citation, but usually the whole thing will disappear and it is clean.  You say you aren’t using cite while you write and below you show an incomplete endnote temporary citation {Taylor, 1981 #1157  (which is missing the closing curly bracket)  so yes, deleting the closing bracket would mean Endnote can’t parse the citation, but I suspect that is just a typo?  

• I changed reference in edit and ok. It worked and in bibliography. I had taken old ref out (as above) thinking I would get a double reference. This is when you may have a leftover record in the temporary “travelling library”.  If you know you have all the citations in your library, you may convert to unformated citations (never to plain text!), and then update the bibliography again, and that should remove any traveling library and get you back the records.  This especially happens if you change a first author spelling, for example.  

Before I start what are the 5 dots (showings stars mean? I saw them when working but not now.  There is a display library field option for a “ratings” field, which is dots (when unrated) and can be a series of stars (if you click on a dot) that can show or not show as one of your columns.  I think they are a waste of space, so you can drag it out, or right click in the top field name row and deselect that “field” or select it if you want to see it again.  (see my attached image which shows this field column and the dot you ask about below)

Also what does the dot against the reference mean? I had duplicated my reference list and had to take out duplicates. What is this for? 
This is another display field option, which is “read/unread”  and the toggle to read is defined in your preferences.  Another waste of space column as far as I am concerned.  None of those should result in the problem you are seeing.  

{Taylor, 1981 #1157may no longer  be that record number if you deleted it and recreated it.  If you open the Taylor 1981 record, you will see a record number as part of the name at the top of the window.  (see attached image).  Converting all the citations to the unformated/temporary citations and then (update them) should result in endnote searching for each.  If it isn’t in the library, then endnote will prompt you to show similar records to select the right one.  

About Zotero, you should go onto to your computer and use the computer tools to remove that program.  It could interfere with some endnote functions.  It would never be used to search for colleges though.  It is an alternative bibliography package.  

Hello Leanne

I am so so sorry.  I couldn’t get back into the forum. I worked with endnote asking why I couldn’t get in with my passwords etc… Two weeks of emails and finally when I had had enough they realised the email details I was giving them were for the community.  I was frantic wondering what you were thinking. I havent got time now but I will be in touch tomorrow.

kind regards

katie2

Hello Leanne

Sorry to take so long. Yes using version 8.2

Yes typo  {Taylor, 1981 #1157

I completed book 1 and I have another book to do. I can figure it out thanks. It was helpful to know some of the options like dots are not relevant and backspacing to remove text was  ok…

I do not have a travelling Library.  I saw it once. As i said I coudn’t connect to the internet and was given support. We don’tknow why. So I probably havent got a travelling library. I recall not seeing anything in it.

Anyway I have nearly finished now. There shouldn’t be any duplicates in the bibliography anyway and I have completed my text so don’t need footnotes.

Thanks for all the trouble you sent to to answer my question.  Once my request for new password was pased up one level I was able to get in. It was inoted that I was using the forum.

Then I have cchronic pain so couldnt get on the computer. I appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Katie2

you won’t “see” the traveling library.  It is embedded behind the scenes in the word document. You  can “recover” the items in it, from the endnote ribbon. see image.