Brackets round cited pages in footnotes

One of our users has reported an odd problem with footnote citations.

He had a style set up with the footnote template for Journal Article:

Author, ‘Title’|, Journal|, Volume| (Year)|, Pages|, (p.^pp. Cited Pages)| (repr. in Reprint Edition)| <URL>|.

This persistently produced output that was omitting the opening bracket before his Cited Pages:

J. S. Alper, ‘Genes, Free Will, and Criminal Responsibility’, Social Science and Medicine, 46 (1998), 1599-611, pp. 1600-02).

Editing the style to:

Author, ‘Title’|, Journal|, Volume| (Year)|, Pages|, (pp. Cited Pages)| (repr. in Reprint Edition)| <URL>|.

produces

J. S. Alper, ‘Genes, Free Will, and Criminal Responsibility’, Social Science and Medicine, 46 (1998), 1599-611, (pp. 1600-02).

i.e. ALL he did to fix the missing bracket was to remove the singular/plural option for the pages.

Most of the time this will do what he wants, except that it will look a little odd if he wants to cite a single page, but why does this happen and is there any way to fix it?

You just need to add a pipe before the first “p” - like this:

(|p.^pp. Cited Pages)

This forces EndNote to always display the first “(”.

I just tested this and it worked just fine.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

1 Like

The trouble with that is that it means he always has to put something in Cited pages, even if he really wants to refer to the whole article, or else he ends up with a lonely open bracket:

E.M. Altmaier, and others, ‘Attribution therapy: effects of locus of control and timing of treatment’, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 26 (1979), 481-86, (

However, your suggestion was really helpful as it prompted me to think again about what he’s actually trying to get EndNote to print.

Author, ‘Title’|, Journal|, Volume| (Year)|, Pages|, (p.^(pp. Cited Pages)| (repr. in Reprint Edition)| <URL>|.

looks at first sight as though it has too many open brackets but it does the trick, although I’m still puzzled by the fact that EndNote doesn’t have any problems with the comma that precedes the bracket. Maybe it’s clever enough to know that comma followed by full stop is always an error.