Cannot import PDF into Endnote X8 Library

Hi all,

I am currently using Endnote X8 on a Mac and just recently started noticing that whenever I try to attach a PDF for a  reference (Right click > File Attachments > Attach file…), the window will pop up and I am abe to click onto the PDF I want to attach, but once I click “Open” the window disappears and nothing attaches.

Usually the PDF is in my Downloads folder. I should also note that apparently all my references are relative links…not sure if that helps or not.

I used to be able to attach PDFs no problem a few weeks ago. The only thing that’s changed is that I moved houses and switched internet providers. But it shouldn’t affect my ability to attach files if Endnote is importing it from my computer, no?

Any help would be much appreciated! I’m currently writing a thesis and need these PDFs >_>

So normally if you move houses and switch internet providers that should not prevent you from attaching files to an EndNote library.

I would first see if you can attach a pdf files to the Sample Library which is located in Applications\EndNote\Examples.

We have seen issues in the past where the Layout option of the library preventing a file from being attached. So you might try adjust that setting in the Upper Right of the library window to something like Reference Only then try to attach a file and see if you have the same issue or not.

Another option might be to try to drag and drop the pdf to the reference as a way to attach it to see if that change the behavior.

If all these options fail then I would contact Technical Support.

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)

+1-800-336-4474, press 4

or via the web

http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/techsupport/

Try attach pdf files using “right split” view mode

The Endnote authorities told me this and it worked for me!

P.S. sometimes u hv to attach the files multiple times for it to work also :wink:

I have the same problem and I found the reason. It might be very ridiculous!!

The reason I have this problem is that there is an emoji in my file name…oh god!

Hope this can help you guys who have the same problem as me.

I have the same problem and I found the reason. It might be very ridiculous!!

The reason I have this problem is that there is an emoji in my file name…oh god!

Hope this can help you guys who have the same problem as me.