Chicago 15th B - "Edited by" doesn't follow Chicago format

According to Chicago 15th B style (author-date format), chapters or sections in an edited book should appear in the Reference List in this format:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history, ed. Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

However, EndNote (X1) is generating it in a slightly different way, like so:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history, edited by Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

and, in some instances, like this:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history. Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

As far as I can tell, there are no differences in the way I input my information (in all three, for example, the editor name would go under Editor, etc.)

My questions are: Does anyone know what’s happening here?

And, how do I edit Chicago 15thB to output the information the way it is supposed to be? 

I’m a bit nervous to edit the output style, but I will play around with a copy version.

Thank you,

Marta

Just wanted to revive this question and see if anyone had any ideas!

Thank you!

Are you able to edit your (copied) style, and modify the bibliography template of edited book? It seems the only change you need is “edited” versus “ed.”

For the second case, did you make sure the reference you have in your library doesn’t have a duplicate with different reference type? You could have two duplicated references in different reference types, ex. one edited book, another book section, and your style definition might be giving you different outputs.

@mkd wrote:

According to Chicago 15th B style (author-date format), chapters or sections in an edited book should appear in the Reference List in this format:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history, ed. Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

However, EndNote (X1) is generating it in a slightly different way, like so:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history, edited by Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

and, in some instances, like this:

Wiese, Andrew. 2006. “The house I live in”: Race, class, and African American suburban dreams in the postwar United States. In The new suburban history. Kevin M. Kruse and Thomas J. Sugrue. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

As far as I can tell, there are no differences in the way I input my information (in all three, for example, the editor name would go under Editor, etc.)

My questions are: Does anyone know what’s happening here?

And, how do I edit Chicago 15thB to output the information the way it is supposed to be? 

I’m a bit nervous to edit the output style, but I will play around with a copy version.

Thank you,

Marta

Hello,

The Chicago B format (Also known as the Author-Date format–17-42 p. 654-B) shows that the word edited preceeds the editor name when a book has an author and an editor. 

Adorno, Theodor W., And Walter Benjamin.  The Complete Correspondence, 1928-1940. Edited by Henri Lonitz.  Translated by Nicholas Walker. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1999.

The Chicago A format (Also known as the Note-Bib format–17-42 p. 654-N) shows that the abbreviation ed. preceeds the editor name when a book has an author and an editor.

10.  Theodor Adorno and Walter Benjamin, The Complete Correspondence, 1828-1940, ed. Henri Lonitz, transl. Nicholas Walker (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1999).

If your University or publisher is requiring the ed. in place of the word Editor.  You can easily modify the style accordingly:

Open EndNote

Select Edit/Output style and select the Chicago B format

Select File Save/As once the style has opened and save a copy of the style.

Click on “Bibliography”

Click on Book Section

Replace Editor with   ed.^eds.(link-adjacent-text)  The link adjacent text is a hard space that you select from Insert Fields.

Save the style.

Now go back to your paper and reformat your bibliography with your Chicago B Copy.ens file.  This should correctly format the articles with the ed. in front of the Editors name.

Please let us know if you have any questions…

Sincerely

Cheryl

1 Like