EndNote X5 Mac strips out "ed" in citations?

I am trying to use an “author date” citation style. With most things the citations are being properly formated as NAME YEAR, PAGES. However, when I have an edited book, it should be in the format “NAME, ed(s) YEAR, PAGES”. (Bold for empasis here only; I don’t need that in the actual citation.)

I cannot seem to find a way to edit the Output Style to accomidate this. Any thoughts?

More out of curiosity than anything – I don’t know how this would be accommodated by EndNote – what referencing style are you employing?

This is the first time I have heard of any author-date referencing style that requires “(ed)” or "(eds) in the in-text citation.

Cheers

John

John wrote:

More out of curiosity than anything – I don’t know how this would be accommodated by EndNote – what referencing style are you employing?

Chicago 15th. See § 16.108. It states that “ed.” should be added in citations when both orginal and edited work by the same person apeared in the same year. EndNote happily adds letters after the year (as it normally should), but not the “ed.”

I imagine I’ll have to change this manually since it is impossible to have two citation styles in an output template.

That’s interesting, Galloway. There isn’t a way to do that automatically with EndNote, but I can think of a workaround. Click near the citation and then click Edit & Manage citations from the toolbar. Highlight the citation that’s an edited book. Click on the Formatting pulldown and choose to exclude the author. Then, in the prefix, retype the author’s name and the ‘ed’.

How does that work for you?

As a work-around it works fine, but I would hope there might be a “edited book” citation in author-date styles added at some point.

By the way, EndNote makes a major error in lumping edited books with other works by the same author in the bibliography. Edited volumes should come after non-edited works.

Hello:

Feel free to put your suggestion in a post the Suggestions forum, which is monitored by our product managers. We value your input!

You can change the sort order to place edited books after other works by an author. To do this:

1. In EndNote, use the Edit menu to select Output Styles and then Open Style Manager.

2. Type the first few letters of the style you are using. Scroll to it, select it, and then click Edit.

3. Under Bibliography, click Sort Order.

4. Place a check next to “Sort edited works after original works…” 

5. Click the File menu and save with a new name.

Be sure to use the new style in your Word document.