We have discontinued the sale of Reference Manager, effective December 31, 2015, and focus exclusively on the continued enhancement of EndNote, our premier reference management solution. We also as of December 31, 2016 ended support of Reference Manager.
We strongly suggest you consider moving to EndNote:
The latest version EndNote X8 is compatible with most of the operating systems and word applications. For more information regarding the EndNote and Reference Manager comparison, please refer to this link:
Please refer to this link for more information about Reference Manager to EndNote switching:
You can test EndNote before purchasing the software; you can download the EndNote X8 free trial for 30 days from this link:
If you would like to purchase EndNote X8, please contact our Sales Department:
You can also contact our Sales team through phone. Please find the contact details below:
Phone number: 1 800 – 722 - 1227
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday (8 AM -5 PM PT)
In regards to the issue:
Reference Manager 11 and earlier are not considered compatible with Word 2010.
If you can get a copy of Word 2007 you will have better luck in using Word and Reference Manager together.
You can try the following to attempt to reset the two programs but the issue may not be able to be resolved.
- Close EndNote, Word, and Outlook if they are running
- Go to your start menu / All Programs / EndNote 8
- Run the Configure EndNote program
- Choose to remove the EndNote Components for you, click next and finish.
- Run MS Word to make sure the tools are gone then quit Word again.
- Run Configure EndNote again and have it configure the tools for you and complete the wizard.
- Go to the folder “C:\Documents and Settings[YOUR USER NAME]\Application Data\microsoft\templates”
- Rename “Normal.dot” and/or "normal.dotm to “NormalOLD.dot” or “NormalOLD.dotm” and delete any files that start with ~$
- Go to the folder “C:\Documents and Settings[YOUR USER NAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP” and delete any files that start with ~$
Next you will want to remove the registry keys.
- Quit all applications.
- Go to Start in the lower left hand side of your monitor and enter regedit.
When it asks if you want to run regedit, you will want to run the program.
This will open the Registry Editor window
- Type regedit then press ok
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/ISIResearchsoft/Reference Manager
- Delete the Cite While You Write folder.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_User/Software/Microsoft
- Right Click the Office folder and choose to Export.
- Name the file addin keys and save the file to your desktop
- Expand the Office/14.0 folder
- Delete the Word folder in the 14.0 folder.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word folder.
- Delete the Addins folder.
- Restart your computer.
- Go to your Start menu, choose all programs / Reference Manager / RefMan Config.
- Have the tool configure the CWYW tools for you.
- Run Reference Manager , open a database then open Word.
- You would then try using them together.