Editing a style to change p to comma that signifies page number

Hi,

I hope that someone can help.  I’m using the output style for research into post-copulory education journal and there are some errors in the style.  In the output citation, it is giving p before the page number but the journal requires a comma.  I need advice on how to change this in the style template.

Thanks

Clubbie

What output style are you using and does the problem concern in-text citations?  If so, the template may be missing some of the coding related to pagination.  If this affecting the in-text citations, go to the toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT (name of your style).  In the left column locate the “Citations” header then just below click on Templates.

Normally the in-text citation template would resemble something like this (with the astericks representing the “Link Adjacent Text” code):

(Author, |Year|,*p.^pp.*Cited Pages|)

Hi CrazyGeko,

thanks for the response. Yes the error is with the in-text citations.  For example I get (Edwards et al.,2009, p. 492) and it needs to be (Edwards et al.,2009, 492).  Need somehow to remove the p.  I’ve had a look at the template code and it is how you give it. 

Thanks

Clubbie

Thanks for the additional info, clubbie.  Did you happen to edit the citation from (Edwards et al., 2009) to include the page number so it now appears as (Edwards et al.,2009, p. 492)?  If so just re-edit the citation and delete the “p.” which may be in the suffix field.

Thanks CrazyGecko,  thats a good workaround.  I normally use the page number box rather than the suffix, but this works for the style I’m using at the moment.

Thanks once again

Clubbie

Thanks for the results. Yes, using the “suffix” field is helpful for citing pages - glad it worked out for you.

The Cited Pages field is a bit more flexible and automated with respect to the p. or pp. but the field then has to be used in the  Output Style Citation template and it needs to have the correct “link adjacent” and “forced separation” characters, to avoid the inclusion of the punctuation when you don’t have anything in the field.  Some styles include that field “out of the box” and others don’t.