Endnote syncing

Hello,

I need create a shared team library for a team of 10 people. The master copy is stored on a shared network drive, but as multiple people need access at the same time, we will make this shared and the other 9 users will access it that way.

My question is, as it is a 5000+ size library, will these users need to re-download the library every time they open the software, or will a local copy of the shared library be created and only the changes will need to be synced (if so, where is this local copy saved??)

Similarly, can they use the library when offline? I know they will be unable to sync it, but wil it still be “there” for them to use.

Many thanks,

Rob

@robbrowne wrote:

Hello,

I need create a shared team library for a team of 10 people. The master copy is stored on a shared network drive, but as multiple people need access at the same time, we will make this shared and the other 9 users will access it that way.

My question is, as it is a 5000+ size library, will these users need to re-download the library every time they open the software, or will a local copy of the shared library be created and only the changes will need to be synced (if so, where is this local copy saved??)  

Similarly, can they use the library when offline? I know they will be unable to sync it, but wil it still be “there” for them to use.

Many thanks,

Rob

So are they syncing to the cloud or just openning it from the network?  That will change the answers.  If they are syncing the library to a desktop location thru the cloud and someone is using the network version and syncing that from the network location to the cloud, they won’t download the library everytime – just update the local copy  and then they can use it offline,

If you open it from the network drive (and then only one person can open it for read/write at a time) then you do in essence download it everytime (if you are working remotely this can be very slow) and you will not be able to access it offline unless you save it first, locally (also very slow).  

We do keep two copies of our library in two separate folders, one is read only and multiple people can access it simultaneously, and the other is read write but only one person can have it open at anyone time to add records to.  But this really only works when we are all within our network environment at work, it isn’t recommended at home, via our proxy.  

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

We have decided to use cloud syncing for theam team as the users need to make changes at the same time. I had created and saved the library on the network, but I suppose that probably isn’t necessary now we are using the cloud syncing.

My question I suppose is, where on earth does the shared library save locally for a user when they first open/accept it from me. You mention a “desktop location” but it doesn’t save on a members desktop when they download, and a local copy must be somehwere, or else it would require downloading everytime you reopen the software.

Many thanks,

Rob

That is an interesting question.  I am not sure - now that I read and review the literature and videos, if the shared library is integrated into the other users desktop library.  It does say they have to have X7.2, so I don’t know if there is a more recent video out there.  https://youtu.be/QDDsyX5tXvs 

I recommend you test it?  – the X8 version is supposed to be shareable with up 100 (X7 was 14).