Syncing local library while using a shared library

Hello,

I’m a member of a research group and I recently shared a library with my colleagues. Besides this shared library, each of the group members uses another ‘private’ library.

Today, one of my colleagues tried to sync her private library with her EndnoteWeb Account in order to use it not only from her computer at work but also with her computer at home. After she pressed the sync-Button, Endnote asked whether she really wanted to sync her library, because that would merge this library with the other library she syncs. This other library is the library I shared with her and my other colleagues.

Shouldn’t she be able to use the shared library AND sync her own private library to her EndnoteWeb Account?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me with this!

Jule

Dear Jul,

When you sync a library, you are syncing a library you created with your personal EndNote online account. If you Open a shared library, you are syncing with another EndNote users synced library.

If you really want to sync a  shared library you could use the “save a copy” command while in the shared library in EndNote then sync that copy with your online account. If you already have references in your online account you don’t want merged, you would have to log in to that account and delete all references and groups first.

I hope this is helpful.

Dear Tom,

thanks for the answer, but I’m sorry, it does not solve my problem. I may have used the wrong vocabulary. My colleague wants to sync her personal library and use the library shared by me. That means she needs to have an up-to-date version of my library in her Endnote. So she needs to retrieve the references and group sets from the library I shared (I may have misleadingly called this retrieval of references “syncing”).  

thewitt wrote:

When you sync a library, you are syncing a library you created with your personal EndNote online account. If you Open a shared library, you are syncing with another EndNote users synced library.  

Yes, that’s totally clear. But it does not work. If my colleague tries to sync her personal library to her personal Endnote online account, Endnote wants to merge her personal library with the library I shared with her.

Are you sure that is what it is trying to do?  I once renamed my library on my 2nd computer and when I tried to sync it, it doubled all the records somehow.  It didn’t bring in any of the shared libraries though.  Those messages are rather opaque.  

Yes, I’m pretty sure. Before she asked me for help, she tried to sync her private library with her Endnote Online Account and answered the Question (“This will merge the library with another library you’ve synced before. Are you sure”?) with “Yes”.

The result was, that the references and groups from the shared library appeared in her private library.