EndNote Web Collaborating: Web to Desktop Shared Groups

Hi,

I am sorry if this question has been asked before, I have been sifting through the forums and have not found this particular question so bear with me.  

I am working with a research team-we have a library of 1082 references and would like to be working off of the same copy.  

I created an endnote web account and connected my desktop library to the web library, which worked out very well.  I then decided to test the sharing option so I added all the references in “my references” to a group, which I named “All References.”  I then created another endnote web account using another email address of mine.  I proceeded to share that “All References” group with this alternate email address.   I logged out of endnote web  and logged in with my alternate email address.  Sure enough, I had access to read and write in the group. 

Here’s the problem: I then went to my laptop and opened a new library.  I proceeded to sign into endnote web using that alternate email address and try to transfer the library from web to desktop.  However, because the references all exist in a shared library, I kept getting an error message when I tried to transfer because technically I have no references of my own in the alternate email (only 1082 shared references).  The error message said " ‘Unfiled’ Web folder is empty. No references available for downloading."

My question is this: is there a way to connect the endnote web library to a desktop library as a collaborator (and not the original library creator)?? I do not want to invite my project collaborators to share the “all references” group if they can only edit it online.  I want them to be able to open endnote on their desktops and collaborate with me on the same library.  How can I do this?  

thank you so much for your help,

s.a.

Hi,

Have you figured out the answer to your question? I’m new to Endnote web but have been going through some of the online tutorials. I’m also trying to figure out the best way to share an Endnote library across a research group.

I think the last tutorial under Endnote Basics (at http://www.endnote.com/training/ ), which is called “Collaborating on word documents”, may have info helpful to you. At the very end it briefly talks about the traveling library…a bit unclear but may be what you need to do?

-Megan