I am assisting a student with an Endnote problem that I’ve not encountered before. He is using Ednote X1.1 for Windows, Word 2000 and has selected APA 5th as the Output Style. Problem: he is unable to edit Formatted citations. The Edit Citations dialog box is not listing citations in the left column of the dialog - therefore we cannot edit any citation that we want to customize. There are no citations listed therefore we cannot highlight. Despite there being no citations listed however there is a citation tally at the bottom of the dialog box. (Although whilst we were experimenting the tally was not accurate.) Nor is it giving the option to Exclude Author, Exclude Year, add a Prefix or a Suffix. The options do not appear in the dialog box.
We have tried the following without success:
1. Unformat and then re-format bibliography
2. Unformat citations, save Word document, close Word, reopen document and format bibliography
3. Uninstall EndNote X1 program using Windows> Control Panel> Add remove programs, and then reinstall (same problems)
1. We tried all of the above on a new document…so it’s not the document
2. It’s possible to unformat the citations, edit the unformatted citations, and then reformat…but student wants to use CWYW.3. The Endnote toolbar in Word & the CWYW toolbar in Endnote is used to move between programs. The student also toggles between programs and sometimes uses key-stroke combinations to insert refs.
4. Word 2000 being used - which according to the Endnote Word compatatiblity chart should work with EN X1
Endnote’s technical support suggested that we check for third-party addin file for Word is conflicting with EndNote’s addin files. http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq11.asp
Can anyone advise?