I am trying to complete a thesis using Word 2008 ver. 12.1.7 on Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5.7. I am using the EndNote X2.0.1 build 3889 licensed to my university (Virginia Tech).
I would prefer to use automatic formatting of citations as I work, so that I can get some sense of how insertions of equations, tables, and figures in my text need to be formatted. Otherwise, what is the point of WSIWYG word processing? It appears that EndNote X2 cannot be trusted to format bibliographies without corrupting field codes within Word 2008.
I have three instances early in my thesis where I reference ranges of EndNote records. The first instance cites a contiguous range of six references. The second instance cites another range of six cites, and the third cites an additional range of four cites. When I format the bibliography from Cite-While-You-Write, everything looks ok. After saving the document, if I return to it and resume writing (and citing) these three instances of cited ranges are corrupted and lost.
I have tried unformatting the bibliography, removing the field codes, and moving the unformatted text to a new document. I have tried retyping the text into a new document. Every time, once I reinsert the references where the corruptions previously occurred, the newly inserted cites re-corrupt. I have Word set to display field codes and I am 100 % certain that I have removed all traces of the prior corruption before I reestablished the cites. This problem is very reproducible and seems like an issue with EndNote and/or CWYW itself. It appears that formatting the bibliography is almost certain to corrupt something, every time. As matters stand presently, I am being forced to leave all cites unformatted on my working document, and occasionally save a formatted document under a different file name to see if it is properly formatted. This arrangement is highly inconvenient and completely negates the utility of having a WSIWYG word processing package. I have lost count of the number of times that I have restarted writing this thesis, due to the unreliability of this citation software.
I have tried (multiple times) removing Office 2008 and EndNote X2 folled by reinstallation and re-updating. I have tried retyping the document. Every time, the same corruption problem reappears. This nonsense is wasting my time and causing unnecessary frustration, where I am spending more time ‘tweaking’ my computer software so that I can write, than writing!!!