Problems with Field Codes and Citations (not the common easy to solve one)

Hy there

I’m a newby on working with endnote and therefore don’t have that much experience. I’m currently writing my thesis and from one second to another (like always without doing anything ;-)) the format of my word file changed completley. Several attributes changed:

• first of all, all field codes are removed and the citations now appear with curly braces. The shortcut alt + F9 doesn’t help anything, because the settings of the field codes aren’t just changed - the field codes have disappeard completley (only the bibliography is still ok). is there a possibility to fix this?

• second, the cite wihile you write window has disappeard… ?

Much thanks for every help in advance!

Best regards, Rafi

PS: I’m working with Endnote X3, Word 2008 and Mac OSX snow leopard

Message Edited by Rafi on 01-25-2010 12:48 PM

@rafi wrote:

• first of all, all field codes are removed and the citations now appear with curly braces. The shortcut alt + F9 doesn’t help anything, because the settings of the field codes aren’t just changed - the field codes have disappeard completley (only the bibliography is still ok). is there a possibility to fix this?

What you have showing is the unformated endnote inserted items and CWYW is off.  This is different than “field codes” which are complicated gobblety goop, which the alt+F9 displays or hides. 

At some point, either on purpose, or inadvertantly, you unformated the Endnote in-text citations. This turns CWYW off. You need to run the endnote tool “format Bibliography” or “format paper” and then reengage CWYW (on a PC, word2003, this is the third tab of the format dialog box) and hit okay.  I am not sure if the interface is the same with  Endnote X3/Word 2008 on a Mac. 

@rafi wrote:

• second, the cite while you write window has disappeard… ?

Perhaps this is related to the fact that CWYW is currently off?  again, not working with the operating system and Word version you have, I can’t be certain. 

Thank you very much for your help! Your advice saved me a lot of trouble.