Endnote x7 and APA 6th_fix and in-text citation order

Hello,

The problem that I am trying to get resolved in x7 has to do with an APA stye in-text citation under a certain, specific circumstance.  The circumstance is the use of “see also” which is considered a prefix.  A prior version of the APA style had to be fixed so that this issue could be resolved; however, it is still not working for me.

Here is the in-text outcome that I need:

(Carlson, 2005; see also Bronson, 2000).

What I am getting:

(see also Bronson, 2000; Carlson, 2005)

Presumably because the style requires alpha ordering. 

I tried going into the “Edit & Manage Citations” dialog to try and change the order with the up/down arrows on the left had side of the citations list.  Even after changing the x7 style to the APA 6th_fix AND y document to the same, x7 still won’t show the in-text citation in the order that I need it to be.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Danny

Hello Danny,

In order for the arrows to change the position of the records, the Citation Sort Order for the Style would need to be set to “Don’t Sort.” If this is just a one off situation that would not need to be repeated in the document, you could exclude the Author and Year for the Bronson record and add the following as a Suffix for the Carlson record:

; see also Bronson, 2000

Thanks, Jason.  Although I must say it is not an “ideal” fix, for this particular circumstance, your suggestion worked.  I can, however, understand the logic because my situation is fairly narrow and definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Danny

New Question regarding APA 6th Edition output style.  With x7, do I still need the style file: APA_6th_fix?  I have a new laptop with the new version of Endnote and I cannot seem to find the “fixed” APA style.  

The reason I am asking is because (1) a document I have been working on for a while has started some strange behaviors.  Some of the in-text citations now have the authors first name or initials.  I have gone back and fixed some of the original references as well as the author term list but it does not “fix” the in-text citations already saved in the document. (2) I cannot seem to figure out how Endnote handles hyphenated names - but I have figured out that Endnote does not handle them uniformly, at least for me.  Is there a “trick” or even just a tip as to how hyphenated names should be saved in the reference? (3) once a reference is used and the in-text citation saved in the document, is there any smooth way of going in and manually editing the citation? For example, removing initials that shouldn’t be there?

Thank you very much for any help and for your time!

Danny

The proposed solution is, at best, a kludge. Adding a reference as plain text in a suffix means that it may be excluded from the reference list at the end of the document, if it ends up being the only reference to the paper.

What would make more sense would be for Endnote to include a checkbox that says “Override order of references for this instance”, which would then ignore the APA 6th edition format, say, and use the order you’ve set with the arrows for that specific instance in the document. This would be v. useful.

The proposed solution is a bit of a kludge.

What would be more intuitive would be for Endnote to include a checkbox that says “Override order of references for this instance”, which would then ignore the APA 6th edition format, say, and use the order you’ve set with the arrows for that specific instance in the document. This would be v. useful.

Hi Babbage,

That’s actually an exceptional suggestion! I would even go so far as to suggest a similar fix for any citation within a document so that it can be modified manually.  Endnote is not great at handling corporate authorship but with an override, it would go a long way without having to worry about the author term list, etc.

Thanks!

Danny