Endnotes moving

I’m using:

Mac OS 10.4.11

Word 2008 12.1.9

Endnote X2.0.1

In a .docx document, I have endnotes with some fields. For the past 30 minutes, I’ve been trying to add a citation to an endnote and this happens:

The citation is momentarily added, as a field, to the proper endnote

THEN, citations get moved into different endnotes

Here is the text *before* I add a cite:

[13] This history is taken from my journals kept almost daily September 1998 – June 1999 and September 1999 – June 2000. [name deleted], "Paris Journal,"  (1998 - 2000). See also an interview with Simon McBurney in David Tushingham, Food for the Soul: A New Generation of British Theatremakers, Live (London: Methuen, 1994), p. 19. [14] Jacques Lecoq, Jean-Gabriel Carasso and Jean-Claude Lallias, The Moving Body: Teaching Creative Theatre, trans. David Bradby (London: Methuen Publishing Limited, 2000) p. 20 – 21/32); see also Simon Murray, Jacques Lecoq, Routledge Performance Practitioners, ed. Franc Chamberlain (London; New York: Routledge, 2003)p. 51 – 53. [15] See Merlant p. 67, Thompson diss p. 56 – 58, my journal.   

I’m trying to add the proper citation for “Merlant” in endnote 15. After doing so, this is what I have:

[13] This history is taken from my journals kept almost daily September 1998 – June 1999 and September 1999 – June 2000. Renaud Barbaras, Merleau-Ponty, Philo-philosophes, ed. Jean-Pierre Zarader (Paris: ellipses, 1997). See also an interview with Simon McBurney in [name deleted], "Paris Journal,"  1998 - 2000, p. 19.proper This endnote has been "rewritten," moving my journal citation to the end and then moving the citation that was there to the following endnote. [14] David Tushingham, Food for the soul: a new generation of British theatremakers, Live (London: Methuen, 1994) p. 20 – 21/32); see also Jacques Lecoq, et al., The Moving Body: Teaching Creative Theatre, trans. David Bradby (London: Methuen Publishing Limited, 2000)p. 51 – 53. This endnote has the cite from old #13 AND "see also" before the The Moving Body citation, which now is revealed to be a repeated citation. Note also that the second cite from this endnote has also been moved - to the next endnote. [15] Simon Murray, Jacques Lecoq, Routledge Performance Practitioners, ed. Franc Chamberlain (London; New York: Routledge, 2003) See Merlant p. 67, Thompson diss p. 56 – 58, my journal.  This endnote starts with the citation from old 14 and then has the text from the old 15 [16] Christophe Merlant, "L'Ecole Lecoq: Des Mouvements de la vie à la création vivante," Les Nouvelles Formations d l'Interprète: Théâtre, Danse, Cirque, Marionnettes, ed. Anne-Marie Gourdon (Paris: CNRS Éditions, 2004) And finally we come to the new citation. That should have appeared in endnote 15.

What in Sam Hill is going on?!

Please advise.

Message Edited by NoNotThatGuy on 07-20-2009 05:52 PM

Message Edited by NoNotThatGuy on 07-20-2009 05:53 PM

This behavior may be a result of a recently-discovered bug - in both Word 2008 and EndNote X2. We found a Word bug related to the .docx file format and implemented a workaround. Unfortunately, our workaround may not be complete and could lead to some issues. I recommend trying the following:

• Make a copy of the Word file and save it as a .doc file not .docx

• Unformat all EndNote references

• Reformat the EndNote references.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Did these suggestions help?

Has anyone else experienced similar problems specifically using EndNote X2 and Word 2008 for Macintosh? We have discovered a Word bug that we are trying to work around but are struggling to get this fixed for EndNote X3 as the exact problem seems hard to pin down. Corruption seems to occur (sometimes) with certain Unicode characters and/or large amounts of data in Word field codes in .docx files. In most cases, saving as a .doc file and reformatting EndNote citations solves any issues - but not necessarily always. So far, only one of our X3 beta testers has seen something similar. If anyone else has examples or sample documents that they would like to share, please contact me.

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the suggestions.

This is what I did in order to work with the document (if by “unformat” you meant, “Remove Fields,” and by “reformat” you meant, “re-insert the cites”).

I don’t consider it a workaround, however, as my longer documents would require literally hours of re-inserting over a hundred citations. As it was, I only wasted 45 minutes, but that’s hardly acceptable.

I wonder if the bug is actually related to using the .doc format. As you must know, Word 04 does not work with X2 for Mac. Indeed, this was one of the reasons I made the fateful move to Office 2008. Might it be that using any Word format compatible with Word 04 (and earlier versions of Word) might be part of the problem?

J

By unformat he means “unformat citations”, not remove fields. 

1 Like

By “unformat” I meant using the “Unformat Citation(s)” button on the EndNote CWYW toolbar in Word. Using this function does not require the deletion and re-insertion of citations - which I agree is not a reasonable workaround.

A screen shot showing the  “Unformat Citation(s)” button on the EndNote CWYW toolbar is attached.

The specific bug we are researching is definitely related to the .docx file format and Word 2008 only. So, perhaps the issues you are having might be something different.

Either way, unformatting and reformatting EndNote citations is a worthwhile trouble shooting step for many Word-EndNote problems.

UnformatCitations.gif

1 Like

Leanne and Jason,

That changes, literally, a lot!

I just tried this and it worked on the document that (still) is providing me with trouble. I haven’t tried it on a longer document yet.

Thank you for the clarification. And I look forwad to this bug being squashed.

Message Edited by NoNotThatGuy on 07-23-2009 11:57 AM