excel spreadsheets/database

Is there a way I can link my excel spreadsheets to the document.  The excel spreadsheets represent the tables and figues defined in the report.

This is not an EndNote issue. Try the LinkedIn excel users group.

I think you are  wanting to include the spreadsheet like a figure or table?  I agree that Endnote is not the best way to achieve this.  It isn’t the best way to insert a figure or a table into a document either.  

you are probably correct.  I had it in my head I could create a linked database where the reference not only took you to the pdf file, but also took you to the tables defined in the pdf as linked to a spreadsheet or ascii file.  This might be more an issue that the online resource libraries address, I am sure their users not only would like to download the PDF but also any tables listed in the PDF that are already keyed in.

Thanks, I had to ask.

I did state my question poorly. 

The question is,  if the EndNote reference manager allows you to attach a PDF to a reference, will it also allow you to attach  a spreadsheet or figure defined within the PDF and associated to the reference.   I would like the usr of the EndNote Library to have access to the PDF of each article along with any tables that are digitized from the report/article.

It sounds like the answer is no and that if such a tool existed it would reside with the online databases I am obtaining my reports from.  Or I just need to create the links within the document I am writting.

All you can do in EndNote is to create a graphic image of each spreadsheet, table, and chart then store each as a separate entry using the Figure reference type.

The better way is to insert the Excel spreadsheet, table, or chart as a linked or embedded object in the MS Word document. Then whatever future changes you make to the spreadsheet or chart is automatically updated in the Word document.  Refer to Microsoft Office Support for further info.

@u4gmlglm wrote:

The question is,  if the EndNote reference manager allows you to attach a PDF to a reference, will it also allow you to attach  a spreadsheet or figure defined within the PDF and associated to the reference.   I would like the usr of the EndNote Library to have access to the PDF of each article along with any tables that are digitized from the report/article.

It sounds like the answer is no and that if such a tool existed it would reside with the online databases I am obtaining my reports from.  Or I just need to create the links within the document I am writting.

1. You’ll have to clip each spreadsheet or figure within the pdf then store each as a separate entry using the Figure reference type; but better is

2. Either importing or embedding the pdf into MS Word.

You CAN attach any file type to Endnote, not just PDFs.  Attach them by drag and drop.  

but you can’t view any other filetypes inside Endnote, itself (which only has a PDF viewer). They would need to be opened by double cllicking on them, from within the record.