Final bibliographic formatting

I realize that I probably already know the answer to this question, but thought I would ask anyways:

I’m using EndNote X2. When Endnote formats the bibliography at the end of the Microsoft Word document (in my particular case), is there any way to be able to control the line spacing associated with that bibliography?

I’m sure that it is just the standard/default mode for EndNote to make everything singlespaced, and to compress all of the individual bibliographies into one “bunch.” Is there any way to be able to change this default formatting for EndNote X2?

I usually like to have a spacing between each individual bibliography, by the way. Right now I’m just having to do that manually each time, of course.

Thanks!

see: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-files&message.id=509

Briefly, Format Bibliography and in that menu dialog, On the second (Layout) tab, you can set the line spacing.  The default picks it up from the last paragraph formating of the document. 

2 Likes

This looks like something near to my two questions, but doesn’t solve them. I’m using EN 9.0.1 Build 1748 with Word 2002. I can adjust the line spacing in my bibliography by the method given in the reply, but that’s not what I want to do. When I change some detail like the spelling of an author name in my EN library, the Tools/EndNote 9/Format bibliography… menu option takes me to the formatting dialog, but choosing OK does not update the reference in my Word document. The only way I can get this to happen is to remove the corresponding citations from the document and then use Insert Selected Citations to add them back.

The second problem is that although in the Layout tab, it’s claimed that there will be a hanging indent in the bibliography there never is. The biblio is inserted in Normal style. The specified hanging-indent style does appear in the Word style list, but I must apply it manually (select the whole bibliography and apply the style).

Is this a known incompatibility with these software versions or what?

In Endnote (although they have made some changes to X4, so it doesn’t suffer too much from this) the match between the record and the citation are based upon three matches: the Author Name, the Year and the record number.  If you change the author name in the library, it no longer matches that of the citation and Endnote then assumes that it isn’t in the library any longer and uses the information in the “traveling library” attached to the paper itself. 

To avoid this, you can unformat the whole document (crtl A, unformat paper), and reformat (Format paper, remembering to turn CWYW on again from the third tab)  – then any citations not matching in the library will prompt you to select the correct record again.  So if there were many, this is easier than what you have been doing, but not by too much.  I can’t remember in EN9, whether you have the chance to edit reference as an option, from the citation, and if you do that, I believe it also switches the citation itself, but don’t know if it adjusts any other of those citations used in the manuscript (I doubt it).   

The other problem is addressed in the excerpts below  from a “sticky” in the Styles, Filters, and Connections forum I wrote sometime ago.

Hanging Indent specification (in Style) (See Hanging-indent-style attachment)

…you can force a specific Hanging indent (or sometimes called an “outdent” on the bibliography references. Setting “All paragraphs” here can override any settings set in the Bibliography Layout Dialog discussed below in some versions of Endnote, so check both settings if you are not seeing what you want.   

and further down in  Bibliography Layout Dialog (“Format Bibliography” tool)

First line indent and Hanging indent:  Use these settings to set a paragraph indent, a hanging indent, or no indent at all. The hanging indent applies to the second and subsequent lines of a reference in the bibliography. Type measurements as centimeters (cm), inches (in), lines (li), or points (pt).
This will override the document settings, but may not override the specific settings of the style. So also check the settings in the Bibliography Layout section of the specific style you are using (see above for edit style settings).