font size of number and line space in modified bibliography style ((numbered, such as IEEE)

Hi

I modify IEEE (numbered) bibliography style and save as one customized style.  There are two questions about this :

1. How to change the font size of number?

for example

[1]    <==    This number is bigger and I’d like to reduce its size. 

1. How to modify the line space between each line in bibliography?

for example

[1]  …        

…         <=|      spacing with the above line

…       

[2] …

Thank you very much.

chliuisi

For the first question,  At lease in EndnoteX4, you can modify the size of the number in the text under the styles citation template.  Select the text and make “smaller” or select a size to apply.  The same settings are available in the bibliography layout  options in the edit outputstyle options (see Biobliography layout in style attachment). 

For the spacing between refs, those settings are in the format Bibliography dialog, Layout tab.   – Word’s Endnote tool, Format Bibliography, (change the style there to the modified IEEE style, which I recommend to be different than the original style, so you know you are selecting the correct one).  The options in the layout tab are shown in the attached “format bibliography” attachment (EndnoteX4/Word2003).

format bibliography.gif

Thank you very much Leanne for your reply.

The first question is solved.

But the second one is not. As shown in the second gif you attached, I’ve try to change the last option “Space after” to others. The space between individual reference is changed, but not the space between the lines in given one reference.

[1]  …        =

…        => spacing too large

<== here space is changed but not inside each line.

[2]

chliuisi

@leanne wrote:

For the first question,  At lease in EndnoteX4, you can modify the size of the number in the text under the styles citation template.  Select the text and make “smaller” or select a size to apply.  The same settings are available in the bibliography layout  options in the edit outputstyle options (see Biobliography layout in style attachment). 

For the spacing between refs, those settings are in the format Bibliography dialog, Layout tab.   – Word’s Endnote tool, Format Bibliography, (change the style there to the modified IEEE style, which I recommend to be different than the original style, so you know you are selecting the correct one).  The options in the layout tab are shown in the attached “format bibliography” attachment (EndnoteX4/Word2003).

You would want to adjust the “line spacing” to single then (just above “space after” option? 

It is Single for “Line space”.

It is very strange.  I mean line spacings in context is smaller than bibiiography.

I check by General->Paragraph–?> line spacing (My version of Word is in Chinese, so I guess these tags) in context and bibliography. They all show line spacing is Single.

chliuisi

Can you produce a screen shot of what you are seeing in the bibliography and then explain how it is wrong?  Do you have the equivalent of the view that I attached “format bibliography” in my previous reply? 

Hi,

Please refer to the attached tif image. Left is your suggestion and right is my setting.

But the line spacing for a given reference article is still too large.  I’d like to reduce it.

How to do it?

Thank you for your attention

chliuisi

I see the problem.  No you cannot adjust it to less than single spacing.  Spacing can sometimes look abnormal particularly if there is a superscript or adjusted larger font type in the text itself. 

You can reduce the whole default font size itself, and that will reduce the line spacing, but you can’t make the spacing less than single, in the same way you can in MSWord by using the “exactly” option.  At the end of the writing process, you can apply paragraph settings to the bibliography using Word paragraph formatting, but if you run CWYW again, (by adding a new references or manually) it will revert to single spacing.  Not all font and paragraph settings available in the word processing software, are available inside Endnote.  You could ask in the Product Suggestions Forum or by the www.endnote.com suggestions page for this added facility, but at the end of the day, even for a perfectionist like myself, there are just some things I have learned to live with!

Hi,

Thanks again for reply.

In fact, I used paragraph setting in Word to adjust the line spacing in REFERENCE.

But, I can only tune the numbers  (see attached *.jpg) and guess its spacing(or height? )  is the same as context.  In context, the line spacing is Single.  I just tune the numbers next to line spacing in paragraph.jpg to 12 or 13. But I don’t know which is the exact number. I check the template of Conference template Word file I want to submit. In REFERENCe, the line spacing is in Single, which will cause larger spacing than context.

chliuisi