Hanging on 'Retreiveing references'

Hello

X7.2.1 on a mac

Have used this for a couple of years without a hitch. On last launch, I was prompted to upgrade to 7.1.2 and I began the process but then cancelled it as realised it was going to take a while and I need to do a task. Following this, everytime I open up, the system hangs on ‘Retreiving References’ about 10% complete. I can do nothing! I left the system all day today but when I returned it was still on Retreiving refences. I have since upgraded manually to 7.2.1 but the problem remains.

Any help advice/ appreciated

Yours frustrated

Kevin

Suggest you bypass this forum and call or email tech support directly:

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

Thank you

I have done so and had the following response.

“To further investigate the issue, please send me a screenshot of the sync status window and the log files. This will help our development team to investigate further on this issue.

Please follow the below steps to obtain Sync status:

1. Launch EndNote X7 on your Mac.
2. Open your designated EndNote Sync library.
3. Click “Tools” > “Sync”.
4. Under All References, you should see an option that says “Sync Status”. Click on this window and provide a screenshot of this window.

To obtain the Sync logs, please follow the steps below:

Please download the Settings.xml file and place into this location:

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/EndNote/Settings.xml

In Mac OS 10.7 and later, the Library folder is hidden. To go the Library folder in your computer, hold down the “option” key on your keyboard and go to the “Go” Menu and choose “Library”. You may then go to Application Support>EndNote and paste the Settings.xml inside the EndNote folder.

Once copied, restart EndNote, try to sync again and reproduce the error. Then, shutdown EndNote and gather the logs (TEST.log, SENT.log, RECV.log) from:

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/EndNote/Logs/EndNote Web/

Please send me a copy of each of these files. The logs may be too large to send as attachments through email. If that’s the case, send the logs using the following web service:”

I think I can do this but don’t understand the section stating “Download the settings.xml file” where do I find this file?

I have asked Thomson and await their response but any further guidance here would be helpful as I am anxious to get this sorted

Best

Kevin

I take it he didn’t give you the file in an attachment.  Mind you some email programs/providers might block a file with that extension, often without warning?  

BTW, Did you try calling to ask?  

Hi

Thanks

No I haven’t rung as yet but will do so.

Kevin