Help: Problem-Slowest ever Endnote X4 with Mac OS 10.6.5 using either Word 2008 or Word 2011

Is the slowness your problem so you opted to turn off CWYW, or do you not realize that the {Author, Year #rec no} is simply the temporary citation that Endnote inserts.  If the latter, you need to re-enable CWYW from the format Bibliography dialogue, third tab. 

The format you describe is the temporary citation format, essentially the document has the emporary placeholders for the citations and you can trigger Format Bibliography when you choose to create the formatted citations and bibliography. So you can use this while you’re editing the paper which should avoid the performance issue and run Format Bibliography before sending to your advisors. 

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

I see this problem with Word for Mac 2011 and EndNote X4.0.2 is a very well-trodden road. It’s over a year since the last posting and I find that I am having exactly the same trouble as everyone else who went before me, namely, extraordinary delays when inserting and editing citations, meaning heaps of downtime, drumming my fingers waiting for hyperlinks etc. Like many of the other posts, I too am trying to get a PhD dissertation written and have invested way too much time and effort in compiling my references to simply turn away from Endnote. 

However, I have found a partial  solution, which is to  turning off the hyperlinking: In Word, go to the EndNote tab/toolbar, select: the  Bibliography Preferences  (Word 2010/2007) box, or  Instant Formatting  (other Word versions). On the  Format Bibliography  tab - untick:  Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography , and click  OK. (advice sourced from Massey University Library, http://libraryblogs.massey.ac.nz/endnote.php/endnote-x4-slow-citation-insertion)..)

Seems to be working so far …

Dear 

I am really frustrated with EndNote 5, i am at the final stage of writiing my PhD thesis and decide to upgrade to X5 (( very bad decision)), now word and endnote not talking to each others. every time i trey to do any things with endnote, I have the error = -1712

Help  please …

Have you considered calling tech support? 

I realize that it’s been a year since this thread was last updated, but I just started having this problem.  My system configuration is:

MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8

MS Word 2008

EndNote X4

In the last week, I’ve started getting the 1217 error after waiting SEVERAL minutes when trying in insert a citation into the text.  The first few times, I just get this error, and usuall the insert goes through.  After 3 or 4 inserts, I get the “COM exception occurred” error, which unformats all of my citations (de-hyperlinks them), unformats all of the citations at the end in the bibliography to plain text, and sometimes causes Word to crash.  Either way, I lose everything since my last save.  I’d save more often but I’m battling the MS Word 2008 issue that happens when you save too often and corrupt the file.

I can’t update to X5 since I need to stay with OS X 10.6 (other programs I run will only work up to 10.6), and am given to understand that X5 requires OS X 10.7.

It sounds like the 4.0.2 update doesn’t address this, so I’m not going to run it.

Someone please help, my dissertation depends on it!  Thanks!

Hello iwantmyphd,

Please contact our technical support staff directly using the information below. There can be multiple causes for this error and they can walk you through the steps to troubleshoot the problem.

http://endnote.com/support/contact-support

This link will show you the hours of operation, phone numbers and provide a link to open a support ticket. Chat support is also available as resources permit.

Best regards,

Sharon Ennis