Endnote X4 and Word 2011 (mac) questions

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions about Endnote on the mac generally, and about the CWYW with Word 2011 specifically.

First the general question. Why is it that the performance of Endnote with CWYW on the mac is so much poorer than on windows? This has been a long running saga for me since Word 2004, marginally improved on 2008, and pretty much the same on 2011. I’m using the latest Macbook Pro with loads of memory, and things often slow down with CWYW even on papers of around 8,000 words with around 40 citations - pretty bog-standard really. What’s odd is that I’ll open exactly the same document using Word 2010 and Endnote X4 on windows (using Parallels) and it works far, far better. I’ve even opened the same files using a Samsung netbook which is woefully underpowered, running Windows 7 basic and with Word 2010 and Endnote X4, and it still performs at a level that is better than the Word/Endnote combination on the mac. This can’t be a problem specific to my machine as I’ve tried it on serveral macs. Why on earth are things so poor on the mac that I often have to turn off CWYW to keep things flowing adequately?

Second, the specific question. Will CWYW on Endnote X4 and Word 2011 have an integrated menu and toolbar, as Word 2010 and Endnote X4 for windows do, now that Word 2011 supports VBA again? The present solution is functional, but it’s pretty clumsy to have a floaty toolbar that doesn’t really integrate with the software, and it would be much better if the functionality of the windows version was mirrored on the mac. I can’t help wondering if using Applescript is the reason why CWYW performance is so much slower than on windows based machines as well…

Can anyone provide some answers to these questions from a long-suffering Endnote user?

Thanks,

Ian