How can I download fulltext via endnote x2 from the wiley and other journals!

I am an user of endnote X2. I have some problem in using the product.

Firstly, Our school has subscribed to the web of science and other journals mentioned fellowing!

When I use the endnote x2, it is very convenient to download fulltext from the citing import from the web of science. However, I have one problem that my endnote can only download fulltext from Sciencedirect and the Royal society chemistry, but it can not download fulltext from the wiley, Acs and other journals.

Should I change something, or there is some problem with my software or my subscription.

I look forward to your in time replay.

Thank you!

Hello,

You would want to make sure to enter your information for EndNote Web into Endnote X2, Edit > Preferences > EndNote Web.  Since you have access to WoS, this should improve EndNote X2’s ability to locate PDFs.

Ok Peter, how about using accounts from two different universities?

I would recommend using the account for one of the universities, and have EndNote search for the full text.  Then change the account information to the second account and search on the references that still do not have the full text.

It really puzzled me for your replay!

Firstly, Our subscription to Wos is based on IP adress,  not University account.

And also my preference for endnote web is contain the url: http://www.myendnoteweb.com

and my account for endnote web, It can work well, include transfer the references to endnoteweb, orupdate my references.

I do puzzled, from the “open url” link I can easily find the fulltext, why endnote x2 cann’t. Does anythink go wrong in

the setting,should I change something. 

Same here.    In addition, I found Endnote X2 can perform fulltext download one but at the same time didn’t work for the other one; both are in the same journal, though.   OpenURL gives me the access to both of them readily.

@endnotexxf wrote:

It really puzzled me for your replay!

Firstly, Our subscription to Wos is based on IP adress,  not University account.

And also my preference for endnote web is contain the url: http://www.myendnoteweb.com

and my account for endnote web, It can work well, include transfer the references to endnoteweb, orupdate my references.

I do puzzled, from the “open url” link I can easily find the fulltext, why endnote x2 cann’t. Does anythink go wrong in

the setting,should I change something. 

I also have similar problem and would like to retrieve full texts from mentioned journals using EndNote.

Is it already sorted out?

When you say - “…OpenURL gives me the access to both of them readily.” - do you mean access to an HTML page that includes record information and also a link to a PDF full text of the article/file - OR - do you mean access directly to the PDF full text of the file/record? There is a very big difference between the two.

I think this is significant and can help to explain some of the confusion over the current implementation of the EndNote X2 Find Full Text feature.

Jason Rollins, EndNote Product Development

Dear Jason, of course I mean the latter. I also know that the first one means access to  Web Of Science while the latter means subscription to the journal.

Also, I find that others can retrieve all the journal that they have. Does it happen just in some district. I look forward to your solution. Thank you again for your help.

Hi Jason

Unfortunately, for what will be such a popular feature, the help information provided by EndNote X2 for the Find full text feature is very casual.  When it fails, as it inevitably has, there is no information at all about how it works or how it can be configured to work better. 

Your equally casual reply to check your Endnote web settings is not really helpful in this regard.  The product help doesn’t mention anything about this feature being tied to Endnote web or OpenURL settings.  What we need is detailed information about how it is supposed to work. 

In my case, I haven’t yet been able to get the function to work at all.  I am using a trial version of EndNote X2.  The OpenURL preferences have been carried across from my working version (Endnote X) and the OpenURL links open to our SFX server page but I have had no luck with full text links from Highwire Press, Nature or Science.

Regards

Patrick Condron

University of Melbourne

1 Like

I have summarised everything that I have been able to discover about the Find Full Text function here:

http://www.library.uq.edu.au/faqs/endnote/new_in_endnoteX2.html#4

Certainly we need more information from the developers about this feature and how it should work.

1 Like

I just downloaded the trial version of EndnoteX2 for Macintosh.  For me, the biggest draw to upgrade from X1, which I am currently running, is the fulltext feature.  Unfortunately the Mac version has the same problem as the Windows one – it only downloads pdfs from a limited set of journals.  The program Papers manages to do this so much better, but it does not have nearly the functionality as Endnote.

Have the people at Thomson figured out this problem?  If not, it should be at the top of their priority list.

We are adding further improvements to the Find Full Text feature in the upcoming EndNote X2.01 free patch - scheduled for release by the end of October.

Also, I am working on a White Paper that will give more explanation on the overall functionality of the feature and the technologies involved.

1 Like

There are no specific “problems” with the Find Full Text feature - simply limitations to how fast/accurate it may be for a given set of bibliographic records. Much of this is dependent on access, connectivity, etc that we often have little control over. The feature is designed to improve with updates to some of the technologies used. Some of these will be included in the upcoming free patch.

To support the assertion that “…The program Papers manages to do this so much better…” - please send me a list of specific files you have tested along with all relevant details on your access rights and connectivity. I would like to have our internal team evaluate this as well.

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com

Good job, we are looking forward to it!

Hi Jason

If you haven’t already, it would be outstanding if you could investigate integrating the full text feature with an individual’s proxy configuration so that you could download articles served from proxy servers.  I am thinking of a preferences tab for full text which allowed you to enter your institution’s proxy server address and your login and password.  The request from EndNote for the full text would then use the proxy URL to check for access. 

I don’t know if this is even a possible thing to do with Ezproxy.  

In our University situation, we have a complicated network arrangement where multiple organisations (from a contractual point of view with suppliers) including hospitals and research institutes share an IP network range with the University so we have very limited on campus IP recognition by full text providers and most things are served to authenticated users through Ezproxy.  It would also be good if the system was able to handle the Athens authentication system.

I have had success with using the full text system with a range of journals now and am astounded at the possibilities it presents.  I also wonder how it will be perceived from a copyright point of view, given many suppliers could provide multiple PDF downloads from their websites if they wanted this to be allowed but haven’t and this system appears to allow unlimited downloads.

Regards

Patrick Condron

University of Melbourne

1 Like

Jason,

I spent some time doing some testing, and I apologize that I am probably telling you things you already know.  If an Endnote record contains the DOI then all is well.  The problem comes from the fact that when I use ISI Current Contents Connect to download records from searches that I have done, most of them don’t have the DOI directly in the record and then EndnoteX2 doesn’t find the pdf.  If I manually add the DOI then it finds it, but this is too much work and negates the advantages of the fulltext feature.  I tried the same thing using the ISI WOS database and the records contain the DOI so there is no problem.  The problem is that if one wants to keep up in the literature, CC comes out sooner.  What I don’t understand is why Current Contents doesn’t contain the DOI.  If I go to the website of the journal of a record I find with CC, the DOI is there, but I don’t want to have to do this every time.

Regarding the program papers, as a program it cannot be compared with Endnote, but it has the ability to use google scholar to search for pdf files.  This still takes a few clicks, but much fewer than looking up the DOI to add to Endnote. Of course this requires full institutional access rights to all major journals, which we have.

From my point of view, if Thomson Reuters adds the DOI to Current Contents records then all is solved for me, and I think it would make EndnoteX2 a much more powerful product.

Tom Rizzo

thomas.rizzo@epfl.ch 

1 Like

It doesn’t work here.

It seem manyt factor influences this feature!

Thank you !

I forgot to mention that I am using the Mac version that came out a few days ago.  A colleague tried it with the Windows version and even with the DOI it sometimes doesn’t find the pdf.

I may add (might be helpful) to my problems with retrieving ACS papers and Environmental Health Perspectives, that EndNote is trying to connect to their websites (seen connections to either pubs.acs… or ehponline…servers doing netstat command) but pdf is not being downloaded.

And i would say that it is not a matter of large library, because I created my library with 1 reference only (from ACS journals) and tried to get the full pdf of that but it wasn’t working.

Experience based on Windows version.