How to delete all links to PDFs in a database?

Is there a possibility to delete all links to attached PDFs in a database? I have a database with lots of links but want to transfer to someone else only the endnote database without the PDFs. To delete the links manually is too much work. To have the dead links in the importet database of the friend is annoying. So is there a function to delete them altogether?

Why don’t you just send the recipient your .enl library file since the pdfs aren’t needed ?  (Although the “paperclip” attachment icon may still appear in the library window.)

Or you could temporarily “move” the “PDF” subfolder located in the corresponding .DATA folder (which accompanies the .enl library file) then compress the library, send it to the recipient, then move the PDF subfolder back to its original location in the .DATA folder. look in the corresponding .data folder there’s a folder labeled “PDF”. This too, however, may not address the appearance of the paperclip icon. Haven’t tested it but wonder if exporting the references as a tabbed delimited file may enable “cleaning-up” the attachment field to clear out the content then re-importing the data back into EndNote.

It is never a good idea to just send the .enl file as the .Data folder contains library indexing information and grouping information. You should be able to use the Compressed Library feature to create a copy of your library without File Attachments. Click on the File menu and select Compressed Library. Select the option Without File Attachments and follow the steps to create the new compressed copy of your library.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Jason’s plan works perfectly,  if you are using X5.  I don’t think that facility is there in all versions though. 

The option to create a Compressed Library Without File Attachments has been available since version X3.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

I know quite well the feature in the compressed library menu: without of with attachment. The problem is that I am trapped in a limitation which is still present in X4: The compressed library command does not work any more when the database has - as in my case - the size of 8.5GB.  Why does endnote not take off this lid? Any other solutions do have the problem that the person importing the library actually does not know after a whole whether the PDF symbol actually represents an existing PDF or not. So, again, any idea?

Is it that big without the PDFs?  I find I can compress a big library without the PDFs.