How to export select refereces to a bibtex file on X7 mac?

Hello all

I am new to Endnote and I wonder whether someone out there could be so kind to tell me how I can export a bunch of selected references to a bibtex file for using with my latex master file.  I had a look at Export but there is nothing there that indicates that the references will be saved as a bibtex.   

Thank you ever so much.

Cheers

Ed

Designate EndNote’s “BibTex Export” as the output style; next  select the references from your library;  then export the references from  your library  into a text file that can then be imported into BibTeX.

Hello

Many thanks.

What I did was:

a) Edit -> Output Styles -> Open Style Manage. There is a lot of choices there. I marked Bibtex and then closed the windows.

b) I selected just one referece to see if Export works.

c) File -> Export.   Save file as type:   I chose text only.  Output Style:  I chose bibtex.   Then I chose the name of file and click Save.  

A txt file was created with a funny symbol on the beginning <U+FEFF> just before@.  There is no latex ID (key)!  

Here is the output

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:Documents eduardo$ more testendnote.bib  (after changing the file extension)
<U+FEFF>@article{
author = {Zhou, S. X. and Cao, J. Y. and Chen, Y. Q.},
title = {Genetic Algorithm-Based Identification of Fractional-Order Systems},
journal = {Entropy},
volume = {15},
number = {5},
pages = {1624-1642},
note = {151EF
Times Cited:0
Cited References Count:66},
abstract = {Fractional calculus has become an increasingly popular tool for modeling the complex behaviors of physical systems from diverse domains. One of the key issues to apply fractional calculus to engineering problems is to achieve the parameter identification of fractional-order systems. A time-domain identification algorithm based on a genetic algorithm (GA) is proposed in this paper. The multi-variable parameter identification is converted into a parameter optimization by applying GA to the identification of fractional-order systems. To evaluate the identification accuracy and stability, the time-domain output error considering the condition variation is designed as the fitness function for parameter optimization. The identification process is established under various noise levels and excitation levels. The effects of external excitation and the noise level on the identification accuracy are analyzed in detail. The simulation results show that the proposed method could identify the parameters of both commensurate rate and non-commensurate rate fractional-order systems from the data with noise. It is also observed that excitation signal is an important factor influencing the identification accuracy of fractional-order systems.},
keywords = {fractional-order systems
parameter identification
genetic algorithm
output error
noise
excitation
entropy production
diffusion
models
synchronization
optimization
controllers
parameters
operators
design
muscle},
ISSN = {1099-4300},
DOI = {Doi 10.3390/E15051624},
url = {<Go to ISI>://WOS:000319442800009
http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/5/1624/pdf},
year = {2013},
type = {Journal Article}
}

Do I have to edit every single entry to create a latex ID (key)?   What am I missing?

Many thanks

Ed

@emamm wrote:

Do I have to edit every single entry to create a latex ID (key)?   What am I missing?

You’re not missing anything. I may be mistaken but it seems the latex ID key comprises three elements: 1) the last name of the first author, 2) the year of the publication, and 3) the first word of the title. Unfortunately EndNote at present doesn’t appear to have functions to address items #1 (while retaining the complete names for the Author field) and #3. However, you might try googling to see if there’s a third party app or other suggestions.  In the meantime it looks like you’ll need to edit each entry’s “Label” field to enter the latex ID.

You might also consider subnitting this (EndNote’s BibTex Export output style generating the latex ID key)on the EndNote Product Suggestions section of the forum

Many thanks.

Adding an ID key for each entry could be a pain.   My solution was:  Export the references to xml, import the resulting file into Mendeley and then export to bibtex with auto-generated id key (tag).   

It works but it is shame that Endnote has decided not to do a complete job.

Cheers

Ed

Thanks for the info and glad you found a solution. Concur it would simplify matters if EndNote could automatically generate the latex ID key or provide the tools to do so.