How to extract e-mail addresses from Endnote

Hello.

For a survey, I want to create a sample of researchers that published in this field in certain journals in a specified time-frame. I already created the PubMed-Search, imported it into Endnote and retrieved full-texts.

Now I would like to extract name and e-mail address of the corresponding authors and ideally together with the name of the journal and the article.

Does anyone know an alternative to manually click through all full-texts and copy this data? Since our sample is quite large, some automatisation would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Susanne

In the case of multiple authors and email addresses do you want to include all authors and all addresses or just the 1st/lead author and his/her email address? And when you say you want the “article” are you referring to the reference information (e.g. title, volume, issue) or the URL/PDF (kept in the File Attachments field)?

Generally speaking, it’s possible to automatically extract info from select Endnote data fields by creating an output style file for exporting the data that contains the targeted fields (“tags”) you want… However, note that there may be some challenges concerning: author names (especially in the case of multiple authors) and that author addresses and email addresses are usually co-mingled in the same Endnote data field which makes it difficult to isolate each part.

In my library of over 5000 records, only about 381 had a @ in any field, so I don’t think you can reliably obtain the emails for all the corresponding authors, and certainly not all the authors, as few publications include that information.  

It appears that if the corresponding authors email is in the author address  (like Cell does), it might be downloaded to the endnote record, but buried or even intermingled at the end of the author addresses.  

If corresponding author contact is buried in acknowledgments or in “Author information” like a nature paper I just looked at, this info is not captured by the Pubmed database.  Not sure about WoS – so it looks like there won’t be a way to automate it, as it isn’t tagged in any consistent way by the publishing houses.