I would like to remove unused Ref IDs from my databases… I am not concerned that the IDs will change. I appreciate that this is largely cosmetic but is it possible?
I guess I could do this by exporting in RIS format and then importing the data again but I do not want to do this as all character formatting is lost.
You can do this by exporting your database in the RIS format and importing into a new database using the RIS.cap Import Filter.
- Open your database
- Click the File menu > Export
- Choose the RIS format and All references in list.
- Click the ellipses button under file name to select a name and location for the export file.
- Click OK
- Click Export
This will create a text file in the RIS format. Now you can do the following:
- Close your database.
- Create a new database using the File > New Database command.
- Click the File menu > Import Text File.
- For “Filter” click the ellipses and select RIS.cap Note: Be sure not to select RISID.cap or your Ref IDs will be retained.
- For “Text File” click the ellipses and pick the text file you exported using the steps above.
- Click Import.
I could do this but as I mentioned in my original post “… I guess I could do this by exporting in RIS format and then importing the data again but I do not want to do this as all character formatting is lost. …”.
So, I’ll assume that the RIS method is the only way and live with what I have as I want to retain character formatting.
Yes, exporting the database to RIS and then importing into another Reference Manager database would be the only way to reset the RefID information.