How to set "year" in online search?

Hi all,

I am trying to use EndNote online search function to download papers from Harvard Center for Astrophysics database. But in this process, I suffered a problem. If I just set the author then EndNote works fine. But if I designate “year”, every time EndNote returns “No Matching Reference Found”. Even though I already got that reference in the previous way.  I am not sure whether anybody has the same problem.

The online library that I am using is “Harvard-Smith CfA-AST”. If I search “Kivelson” in the author item, I got plenty of references. But if I do it as “Kivelson” as the author plus “1995” as the year. I got “No Matching Reference Found”. 

Is it the way that I use EndNote wrong? Or is it a bug in EndNote? Or is there something wrong with the database server?

Thanks in advance.

Ye GAO

I don’t know how that database is constructed, but in Pubmed, the field is Date and not Year that contains that information.  It appears to be transparent to endnote though, and is only apparent if you save the Online pubmed search (which said “year” and then try to run it on the library instead.  Then what was “year” in the pubmed search, becomes “Date” in the library search – and obviously doesn’t work right. 

So that is a long way of saying, try using the date rather than year for that search?  The Connect file may be modifiable to make it more like the pubmed search I described above. 

I don’t know how that database is constructed, but in Pubmed, the field is Date and not Year that contains that information.  It appears to be transparent to endnote though, and is only apparent if you save the Online pubmed search (which does say “Year”) and then try to run it on the library instead.  Then what was “year” in the pubmed search, becomes “Date” in the library search – and obviously doesn’t work right. 

So that is a long way of saying, try using the date rather than year for that search?  The Connect file may be modifiable to make it more like the pubmed search I described above.