Importing citation: How to assign 1st author and list of authors to different fields?

Hello everybody!

When importing, I would like the first author to be assigned to the ‘Primary author’ field and the other authors (or together with the primary contributor) – to the ‘Secondary author’ field. Could you please suggest me on how to implement this? Below are some details of the issue I am trying to solve.

In the bibliography template for books and journal articles two separate fields are required: the first author and the entire list of authors. This is the citation standard in Ukraine. For example:

• Stridbaek U. Lessons from liberalised electricity markets / Stridbaek U., Cronshaw I., Hulst van N. — Paris : International Energy Agency, 2005. — 224 p. — (Energy market experience). — ISBN 92-64-10959-5.

Typically, I import citations from RIS files, in which authors are indicated as follows:

• AU  - Stridbaek, Ulrik
    AU  - Cronshaw, Ian
    AU  - Hulst van, Noé

I count on your help a lot. Thank you for your attention.

Konstantin

Unfortunately since each of the authors has the same “AU” tag this may require 1)  manually manipulating the text file to assign a new tag the second-and-more authors in order to enable importing them into EndNote’s “Secondary Author” field; then 2) adjusting the Tag and Field(s) in the import filter’s templates to accommodate the new tag and “point” to the corresponding  EndNote field (Secondary Author) . 

So for example, first the text file could be opened in Notepad or MS Word and the author tags would be changed from this:

AU  - Stridbaek, Ulrik

AU  - Cronshaw, Ian

AU  - Hulst van, Noé

…to this (below) then re-saved as a text file.  (Note: “SA” is an arbitrary tag name meant to represent “secondary author” and is used as an example. If the text file includes the use of “SA” for a different field then suggest you create another tag name.  Also note that replacement of the field could be done by using Word’s Find/Replace feature or by developing a macro.)

AU  - Stridbaek, Ulrik

SA  - Cronshaw, Ian

SA  - Hulst van, Noé

Then the next thing to do is to modify the import filter* for the Book and Journal Article reference types to accommodate the tag identifying the additional authors (SA) and the corresponding EndNote field to receive the information:

Tag     Field(s)

AU      Author

SA      Secondary Author

SA      Secondary Author

* To access the filter’s templates, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, IMPORT FILTERS, EDIT [name of the filter].  Then in the filter’s dialog box, in the left column cick to select “Templates”.

Great workaround, but I might suggest that it easiest because what ever goes before it is likely to be unique, to change the first au tag first, then the rest can be a simple search and replace to SA and then you can return the first tag to AU. 

On second thought, maybe modification is needed just for the filter alone. BTW, what filter are you using?

In the Journal Article and Book filter’s template, change the Field(s) name from the second author onward to: Secondary Author. Then the first author’s name will import into the Author field; the second and third author names will then import into the Secondary Author field.

AU  - Author

AU  - Secondary Author  

AU  - Secondary Author

@crazygecko wrote:

Unfortunately since each of the authors has the same “AU” tag this may require 1)  manually manipulating the text file to assign a new tag the second-and-more authors in order to enable importing them into EndNote’s “Secondary Author” field; then 2) adjusting the Tag and Field(s) in the import filter’s templates to accommodate the new tag and “point” to the corresponding  EndNote field (Secondary Author) . 

So for example, first the text file could be opened in Notepad or MS Word and the author tags would be changed from this:

AU  - Stridbaek, Ulrik

AU  - Cronshaw, Ian

AU  - Hulst van, Noé

…to this (below) then re-saved as a text file.  (Note: “SA” is an arbitrary tag name meant to represent “secondary author” and is used as an example. If the text file includes the use of “SA” for a different field then suggest you create another tag name.  Also note that replacement of the field could be done by using Word’s Find/Replace feature or by developing a macro.)

AU  - Stridbaek, Ulrik

SA  - Cronshaw, Ian

SA  - Hulst van, Noé

Then the next thing to do is to modify the import filter* for the Book and Journal Article reference types to accommodate the tag identifying the additional authors (SA) and the corresponding EndNote field to receive the information:

Tag     Field(s)

AU      Author

SA      Secondary Author

SA      Secondary Author

* To access the filter’s templates, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, IMPORT FILTERS, EDIT [name of the filter].  Then in the filter’s dialog box, in the left column cick to select “Templates”.

CrazyGecko,

Thank you for your suggestion. Personally, I find it more convenient to make the changes within EndNote interface rather than to manually edit citation files.

@crazygecko wrote:

On second thought, maybe modification is needed just for the filter alone. BTW, what filter are you using?

In the Journal Article and Book filter’s template, change the Field(s) name from the second author onward to: Secondary Author. Then the first author’s name will import into the Author field; the second and third author names will then import into the Secondary Author field.

AU  - Author

AU  - Secondary Author  

AU  - Secondary Author

I am using a modified default filter for importing RIS files. Unfortunately, your suggestion to modify the filter does not breed the desired effect. Anyway, it was worth trying, thank you.