Citations with same first author name

Hello, I am trying to cite two references from the same author from two different journals published in the same year. Strangely, my endnote is assigning the first reference (In the introduction section) as Author, 2011b and the second reference (in the discussion section) as Author, 2011a. I want the papers to be cited in reverse, the first article to be 2011a and the second one to be 2011b. I dont know why my endnote is doing it in reverse. Could anybody suggest me how to do this correctly. I tried to remove the citations and add them in the order i want but still it reverses the order. Thanks

The order of citations and the 2004a, b (or even 2004b, a) is defined in the style you are using. Thus, what appears to you to be a strange occurance, is because the sort order is not dependent on the order cited, but on the criteria specified in the sort order for the bibliography, usually Author, year. 

So if you insist on changing them somehow - then they will be listed in b then a in the bibliography?  You can change it, but you should first be certain you are not going against the publication-in-question’s format requirements.  I have to revisit how you need to change it though, from older threads. 

I found this thread, but I don’t seem to be able to get that to work. 

– so the other options is to include a field that numbers them according to how you want them to be ordered in this specific manuscript and to include that field (which is otherwise empty) as the first sort in the bibliography. 

I found this thread, but I don’t seem to be able to get that to work. (so I deleted the first message and replaced it with this one). 

– so the other options is to include a field that numbers them according to how you want them to be ordered in this specific manuscript and to include that field (which is otherwise empty) as the first sort in the bibliography. Please note that they will now be ordered incorrectly in the bibliography though.  They will keep the year a, b, c order and will not be sorted by Author-Alphabetically. 

Thanks Leanne, Your thread seems to be helpful. Correct me if i did anything wrong. I went to the specific styles folder and then worked on the Bibliography and sort order and then used the other option. In the first one i chose first author, second one year and thrid one, i dont have the order of appearance option. Could you help me with that to find out where exactly the “order of appearance” will be? There is one at the front of the bibliography sort order but if i use it, it changes the whole citation order, i dont want it.

Yes, I came across the same problem, hence the edited version of the message below.  I don’t see a way to sort them in appearance when cited (unless they are in the same brackets) and the sort order in the bibliography.    Really, it isn’t the way this is specfied to be done in by any publishing house I now of.