Importing references with pdf files attached

I have been searching a ProQuest database and can import the references if I export them as a .ris file.  The only problem is that the full text articles do not import with the citations.  I tried again exporting as a pdf will to see if I could get them that way.  The PDF file compiles all of the references into one file.  If I open the pdf, I can see the full text articles.  The problem is that the pdf only imports as a one line file.  It does not give me the citations and it does not give me the full text.  I know I must be doing something simple wrong.  I just can’t figure it out.  If I directly access databases using a one of the pre-made filters, I can get what I need.  I can’t access that way with this specific database because it is password protected.  Can anyone help me?

@kgruben wrote:

I have been searching a ProQuest database and can import the references if I export them as a .ris file.  The only problem is that the full text articles do not import with the citations. …  I can’t access that way with this specific database because it is password protected. 

Which ProQuest database?  Depending upon your version of EndNote, there’s a Find Full Text feature which could locate and attach the pdf to the corresponding reference but not all databases permit or are configured for enabling this feature. If the .ris file imports the URL info, you might be able to retrieve the pdf if you have proper access (i.e., proxy server settings, password authentication).

Moreover, there may be other information that you haven’t conveyed but  trying to search or download pdfs from a password protected database when you don’t have authorization might answer your question.

CrazyGecko - thank you for your response.  I have EndNote 4X that I am using on a Mac.  I can locate the pdf thruogh the “Find Full Text” when I’m in a database for which I have direct access.  When I have to log in is where I ihave the problem.  In that case, I have to export from the database and import into EndNote.  I could be missing something though.  X4 is new to me.  The last version I had was X.  I started with 2 back in the mid 90s.  This is the first version that I’ve owned where I can get access to the pdf file.  As far as that goes, I gave up on trying to get X to import the citations and typed all of them in too.

I’ve printed out the 480 page manual to try to figure out some of these things.  I keep running across a suggestion of creating a new filter.  I have not done that yet.  I was hoping there was a quicker solution that I could just click a button and move on to what I need to accomplish.

I will go back to see if the url is in the citation.  If it is, I’ll try that as a solution.  If you have any other susggestions, please let me know.  Since you are the Guru, is it worth updating to X5?  The university where I am employeed has a site license large enough that I was able to download X4 at no charge.  I’m into getting what makes me more efficient so I will upgrade if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Kathleen

Since you’ve upgraded, it might be worthwhile to check out some of the free training videos which are available on the EndNote Trainingsection of this forum and the EndNote Training Channel on YouTube.  There happens to be a video on using EndNote with PDFs which might be helpful: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Training/New-video-on-using-EndNote-with-PDFs/td-p/12618

Since you are able to get a free version of X4 from your university, that’s a good deal. You might try becoming acquainted with the X4 features first (e.g., Importing PDFs, Find Full Text, Direct Export, and proxy server settings)  to determine your needs first, moreso if the program seems to work well with your current computer. Also note there’s a patch for X4 which upgrades the program to: X4.0.2.  If you received EndNote via a site license, check with the administrator about procedures for installing the patch. The patch is available for downloading at: http://www.endnote.com/support/ENX401_Win_updater.asp

If you think you might be interested in X5, first check to see that the your computer and MS Word version meets X5 requirements;  read-up to see if the new X5 features might fit needs that are unmet in X4, then you could consider downloading the free X5 demoto do a test run (the demo which runs for 30 days; recommend uninstalling X4 before installing X5).

Also note that a recent patch was issued for X5 which is available for Windows users but as of today (12/31/2011) a patch has not been issued for Mac users as yet. Also Mac users have reported various glitches on the forums concerning X5.