Importing .txt file: reference type is always 'Book'

Hi,

We are having a problem with importing references into EndNote X4. We have an in-house database that manages our publications, which outputs a .txt file that we then import into EndNote. We had been using EndNote 7, but the problem has emerged after upgrading to EndNote X3 and now X4.

The problem is that the references are imported into EndNote as ‘Book’, even though they are marked as our in-house reference style (‘AIHW’) in the .txt file (see copy below). I have done some testing and it seems that it doesn’t matter what the reference type is marked as in the .txt file, it always imports it as Book. I have our custom reference and output styles set up in EndNote, and I have also changed the default reference type for imports to ‘AIHW’

I wasn’t the one who set this all up, but am just trying to work out might be going wrong. Any help would be much appreciated, as I’m not very familiar with this aspect of EndNote.

Thanks!

%0 AIHW

%A AIHW: Mathur, S

%T Aged care in Australia’s states and territories

%D 1996

%C Canberra

%I AIHW

%1 Aged care series

%2 2

%3 Cat. no. AGE 1

%U http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/6

%X Examines the level of service provision, patterns of service use, client characteristics and expenditure patterns for both community-based and residential aged care services. The report documents a number of key differences in the supply and use of aged care services in Australia’s States and Territories.

%@ 0 642 24705 6

%0 AIHW

%A AIHW,

%T Annual report 1994-95

%D 1995

%C Canberra

%I AIHW

%1 AIHW annual report

%2 8

%3 Cat. no. AIHW 7

%U http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/7

%X The AIHW annual reports give a corporate overview and outline the AIHW mission and values, staffing profile and highlights of the year. They report on progress in national information and policy coordination, and on health information and welfare-related information. They also review the activities of the AIHW in economic and business services, legislation and publications and shows its financial performance for the year.

%@ 1321 4985

@aihw wrote:

… which outputs a .txt file that we then import into EndNote,

The problem is that the references are imported into EndNote as ‘Book’, even though they are marked as our in-house reference style (‘AIHW’) in the .txt file (see copy below). I have done some testing and it seems that it doesn’t matter what the reference type is marked as in the .txt file, it always imports it as Book. I have our custom reference and output styles set up in EndNote, and I have also changed the default reference type for imports to ‘AIHW’

It sounds like the problem might be with the filter.  What filter are you using to import the text file?  Could you attach the file?  Or check the filter’s Default Reference Type setting?

The problem is that “AIHW” isn’t a valid reference type and “Book” is the default ref type, which is used when the ref type can’t be determined. If you have a ref type defined in EndNote’s Preferences that you call “AIHW” then you need to use its generic equivalent name in the text file.

See Help, “Creating a Tagged EndNote Import File”, specifically “Defining Reference Types” for ref type names.