export references from endnote x5 to endnote x4 on a different computer

Hi. The Endnote version on my lab computer is Endnote X5, and the one on my laptop is X4. I want to import the references i have in my lab computer (Endnote X5) to my laptopt (EndnoteX4).

In Endnote X5, I tried exporting my Endnote references and obtained a single text document. Then I tried importing this file in Endnote X4 using “import” and any filter that seemed relevant. For most of the filters, I gt absolutely nothing: no import, no error. For the “Tab delimited” filter I get a “Bad field for this Reference type” error.

All my references look like this :

Barrera, M. E., Maurer Daphne (1981). “The Perception of Facial Expressions by the Three-Month-Old.” Child Development 52(1): 203-206.

Blablablalabablablalabablabla blabablablabla bablablalabablabla blalabablabla blalababla …(abstract) 

and the file that contains them is called References.txt 

What is wrong with this file and/or what I am doing ?

Thank you.

I suggest that you compress the library on the X5 machine (from the file menu) creating a dot-enlx file, move that file to the X4 machine.  Open the file in X4 creating the .enl and associated .DATA folder. 

If you want to add these to an existing library on the X4 machine, you either now import that library into this unpacked version, or close this one, open the X4 one and import the endnote library you compressed, moved and openned and saved on the x4 machine.  You can do this with duplicate setting to throw away duplicates or to save duplicates to a different library, or you can import duplicates and then resolve them later, - although the find duplicate interface has improved with each version of Endnote - so you might want to combine them on the X5 machine. 

(too bad - I tried and it doesn’t appear that you can import a compressed file).

In Endnote X5, I tried exporting my Endnote references and obtained a single text document. Then I tried importing this file in Endnote X4 using “import” and any filter that seemed relevant. For most of the filters, I gt absolutely nothing: no import, no error. For the “Tab delimited” filter I get a “Bad field for this Reference type” error.

What is wrong with this file and/or what I am doing ?

I assume you used the Tab Delimited output style when exporting your EndNote references.  If so, there may be a few issues:

1. The Tab Delimited output style may not have included all of the EndNote Generic fields. You can confirm this by checking the fields shown in Tab Delimited bibliography template against the list of EndNote Generic fields (refer to the reference template or the manual).  If the fields don’t align between the Tab Delimited output style and the EndNote Generic fields the exported text file may not import correctly.

2. I’m fuzzy on the details but didn’t X5 add one or two new reference types and new fields?  If so this may also compound the problem of importing an X5 text file into X4.

Can you provide a sample of the .txt file with a few entries?

ok… well I had no idea this simple maniulation would be so problematic.

Some fields are indeed left empty but then again they always are. I think they are in the right order though but maybe I’m wrong.

Here are the two first references in the file :

Barrera, M. E., Maurer Daphne (1981). “The Perception of Facial Expressions by the Three-Month-Old.” Child Development 52(1): 203-206.
    We used habituation to investigate 3-month-olds’ abilities to discriminate and recognize smiling and frowning expressions posed by the mother or by a female stranger. Infants discriminated between the expressions and recognized which expression they had seen during the habituation trials, they did so whether the expressions were posed by the mother or by the stranger. However, when the expressions were posed by the mother, more infants showed the discrimination, and boys looked at her pictures longer than girls. These differences suggest that infants’ previous experiences with faces influence their perceptions of the facial expressions. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
Copyright of Child Development is the property of Wiley-Blackwell and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder’s express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)

Blasi, A., E. Mercure, et al. (2011). “Early Specialization for Voice and Emotion Processing in the Infant Brain.” Current biology : CB 21(14): 1220-1224.

I can see some references include an abstract, some do not, and authors beyond the second author are not even precised (but they should be !!)…  I suppose I chose the wrong export format on my lab computer and can’t even import it on my laptop isn’it :robotmad:

Which format should I have chosen insead ? I don’t remember Endnote X5 even asking me to choose an export format :womansad:

I still don’t see why you wouldn’t import the library rather than exporting the data. 

The export choice is on the export dialog at the bottom.  It may defaut to something other than what Endnote’s default is set to.  How Endnote decides which output style to use for its various functions. 

Thanks for listing the two references but what I was interested in seeing was the actual .txt file. Usually before a tab delimited file can be imported to EndNote or to another database, the file needs to be “prepped” by manually adding the field names corresponding to the actual data to be imported. So if you check the text file (.txt) resulting from exporting the EndNote library using the tab-deimited output style I’m sure you’ll see only the reference records but no field names at the top of the file preceding the records. The field names (and accompanying tabs) must be manually added to the text file before importing. If these field names aren’t present at the beginning of the text file, then the file won’t be imported appropriately. So I wanted to check the file to see the file names and the number of tabbed sequences.

But instead of messing around with manually entering file names there’s a much easier way to import the file especially since you’re merely exporting/importing within EndNote. Instead of exporting your library as a text file (.txt), do it as an .xml file (see image 1, top for export setting).  Then copy/transfer the resulting .xml file to your X4 laptop and import the .xml file into EndNote (see image1, bottom for import setting).

BTW, while checking the EndNote Tab-Delimited output style it seems 3 fields were missing: DOI, Added to Library, and Last Updated. A copy of the updated Tab Delimited file is attached.

\ *NOTE: Another option to test is to copy the library .enl and corresponding .DATA folder to your desktop. Then rename both the .enl file and .DATA folder. So for example if the original file and folder were “EndNote Library.enl” and “EndNote Library.DATA” - give both an entirely new name (e.g., X5 Library.enl; X5 Library.DATA); transfer the renamed file and folder to your X4 laptop and see if you can able to access the library.

Tab Delimited-53fields.ens (16.6 KB)

Thank you very much ! Next time I’ll use the .xml export format. :smiley_cat: (indeed i preferred to export instead of copying the whole library and data folder because then there is only one file to transfer instead of several)

Sorry I had no idea the .txt export format would not be readable without some manual extra step.

Thank you very much !

Thank you very much ! Next time I’ll use the .xml export format. :smiley_cat: (indeed i preferred to export instead of copying the whole library and data folder because then there is only one file to transfer instead of several)

Sorry I had no idea the .txt export format would not be readable without some manual extra step.

Glad the info helps*. Also be aware that importing .txt or .xml files into EndNote will cause the individual records to be renumbered. So for example, each reference in your X5 library is assigned a unique record number when entered into EndNote. The record number enables CWYW to locate and insert the correct in-text citation and corresponding bibliographic reference in the MS Word document.

But when you export your X5 references then import them into X4 the records will lose their original record number and be renumbered. This renumbering will be an issue if you alternate working from the X5 library (on the other computer) and the X4 library on your laptop as the record numbers between the two libraries won’t be in alignment.  So stick with one computer/EndNote version when working.

* Another possibility for transferring library records is to upload your X5 references to EndNote Web then download the references to your X4 laptop.  Am unclear, however, if the record numbers are maintained or will be renumbered when downloading them into the X4 laptop.

@crazygecko wrote:

But when you export your X5 references then import them into X4 the records will lose their original record number and be renumbered. This renumbering will be an issue if you alternate working from the X5 library (on the other computer) and the X4 library on your laptop as the record numbers between the two libraries won’t be in alignment.  So stick with one computer/EndNote version when working.

I think that Endnote X5 actually can cope with this pretty well, but maybe only if you copy or import endnote libraries themselves.