I have X5 installed on my mac but when I go to the Tools menu in microsoft word the only option is X6 which does not work for me. I get the error message ‘error code 10660’. What is the easiest solution to this? Thanks
From the endntoe Knowledge base ( can never figure out how to put a link to that, that doesn’t give an error later):
The simplest way to get the tools to appear is to open EndNote, and go to the EndNote menu. Select “Customizer” from the EndNote menu. Check the box in front of the “Cite While You Write” option. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library. Then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu.
If after following the instructions above the tools still do not appear:
- Close Word and EndNote.
- Open your hard drive and go to the following folder:
EndNote X6: Applications: EndNote X6: Cite While You Write
EndNote X5: Applications: EndNote X5: Cite While You Write
EndNote X4: Applications: EndNote X4: Cite While You Write
Copy the file “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” by highlighting the file and going to “Edit > Copy.”
- Go to the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Office:Startup:Word and paste the file, “Edit Paste.”
Note: In non-English versions of Word, the folder named “Startup” may be called “Start” or be in the localized language of Word.
Start Word, go to “Word > Preferences” and click on “File Locations.”
- If the Startup folder is not set, highlight “Startup” and click on “Modify”. Select the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Office:Startup:Word and click “Choose.”
- Click “OK” and close Word.
- Start EndNote and then start Word.
thank you so much. It worked. Just to add that it was necessary to reboot the Mac.