ipad sync error

I’m getting an error when I sync EN on the iPad.  The error says “A group with guid does not exist”  and there’s a box to click “OK”.  After that, the libraries on the iPad and Endnote Web are not in sync.  How to recover?

Hi jbokor,

Could you try again?

Thanks for clearing that up!

Happy to help; cheers!

Ahh… I did not see the solution.  I have the same problem (desktop version)

Sync Details
Sync was last run: Friday, July 12, 2013 at 09:46:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Sync Status: There are changes that need to be sent.
Error Code: Server.invalidReferenceGuid
Error Message: A reference with guid does not exist

Local Sync Library
Library Name: MFM.enl
Records: 458
Groups: 3
Attachments: 111

Online Sync Library
Username: ****************
Serial Number: ************** (Premium until July 04, 2015)
Records: 431
Groups: 3
Attachments: 228.02 MB

Sync Limits
Number of Records: 1000000 (999569 can still be added)
Number of Groups: 5000 (4997 can still be added)
Number of Attachments: 5.00 GB (4.78 GB can still be added)

I Have the same problem when syncing. It shows: “A reference with guid does not exist”


I got this problem after upgrading to X7, how did you solve it?

It’s NOT solved yet, as far as I can tell…I don’t know why it is flagged here as having a “solution”.  Last I heard they knew it was a bug and were supposed to have a fix by the end of October.  Well, this is the last day of October and it doesn’t look to be solved if you are still having problems.  I would make sure to update to the latest build, since there have been two so far I believe.

Hi everyone,

This error occurs when references have been deleted on the server (either from the web browser or from another sync client) and also on your local sync client (EndNote). It isn’t a bug, but I agree there needs to be a more intuitive and automatic solution. For now, please log a support ticket and we will help you get it resolved as the solution right now is manual and usually requires different steps for each person depending on their current sync state. You can log a support ticket by clicking the ‘Support & Training’ link above or just use this link:


I have the same trouble in my PC(win)

could you clean it for me?

Sorry, but it is a bug if the only way of exiting the Windows program is to go to the task manager and kill the process.  I have had this issue for months, and was told explicitly by tech support that this is a known bug and would be fixed in a subsequent update to the software.

Hi Jeremy, you are completely correct and I apologize. My quick response was specifically about the error condition being valid but clearly we should handle it better and will work on that. That error (though you may be seeing that too) isn’t at the root cause of your error though. Can you private message me contact information and/or your EndNote user name so I can investigate? Also, please share a support case number if you have one so I can look for any background information. And lastly, if you are interested, I would like to connect directly with you to try and resolve your issue asap.

Hello Ids,

If you could please log a support case by clicking ‘Support & Training’ above, we will try to help clear your issue for you.


this video describes the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHFsrbNQcA

I asked one of my computer support people to resolve this, but it never got fixed.

I should not have to kill endnote.exe to exit when there is some syncing problem.  And there should not be syncing problems.

I completely agree. Thanks for the video; it’s a nice illustration of the experience but unfortunately it won’t help us resolve the issue for you because there are a number of things that could be going on to cause such behavior. If you could either private message me so we can find time to meet together on the phone and/or a WebEx support session, I can help you fix the issue and hopefully fold what we learn about the root cause of you specific experience into an improvement for everyone.

A quick and easy solution to the problem:

Create a new empty library in the desktop version and sync it with Endnote Web.

At least it worked for me and the error message stopped appearing.