Losing Field Code with Multiple Citations

Several of the multiple citations in our document have lost most their field code.

We have been enterting citations next to each other. They succesfully merge and display correctly, but when we reveal the field codes the XML is all gone except for “{ ADDIN EN.CITE }”. Similarly when we try to edit the cite using the Endnote Menu, the correct citations are not highlighted for removal. This has caused other random behaviors with cites disappearing from the reference list.

We have experimented with making sure that there is a space after the cite to be merged. In some cases this helped, but not in others. We have also found that entering multiple citations at once is more reliable… but would prefer to be able to use both modes.

We are using Endnote X2 and Word 2007 in Windows XP SP3. Help would be greatly appreciated as this has caused us much embarrasment with our client.

Thank You,


This has been reported before, but so far, Thomson people haven’t jumped in with the solution.  This is the best web discussion I have found:  http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/ifora/endnote#refmiss.

I know somewhere, I saw another response suggesting that these large fields are handled in a different way, but I can’t, for the life of me, find that now. 

Threads relating to this problem are here  and here

It would be very helpful if you could send me a copy of your Word document and EndNote library [.enlx format]. I will have the team investigate to see if we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team