My .Data folder has gone astray

Doing some housekeeping on my computer recently I  sent a .Data folder to the recycle bin that I assumed was an old one that was no longer relevant. When I re-opened EndNote a few days later I got a dialogue box warning me that my .Data folder was missing. I also found that the Groups I had created in my EndNote Library had all disappeared. I had backed up the library to a USB key but when I tried to import the backed-up version nothing seemed to happen (I don’t know whether this is a related problem or just another aspect of my incompetence - though I have imported backed-up versions successfully before). I retrieved the .Data folder from the recycle bin and it is now on my desktop but I can’t figure out how to get it back into my EndNote Library - I am assuming this is what I need to do. I hope someone can (a) understand this and (b) help!

The .Data folder associated with your library .enl file contains the indexing information and any customization you make, including the Groups. For more information, see this article:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=82293

If you deleted the .Data folder, newer versions of EndNote will warn you when attempting to open the .enl file that it is missing. If you ignore the warning, it will create a new version of the .Data folder based on the information in that .enl file. Be sure to close EndNote before proceeding. If you can find the backup copy of the .Data folder you deleted (and you now have on your desktop), you should be able to replace the newly created .Data folder by placing the original in the same folder as your .enl file. This will overwrite the newly created .Data folder with the information you had previously.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Just to tell you what I would do.  I would copy the .DATA folder to a totally new folder location, use a text editor to create an empty file named with the “original library name”.enl in the same folder as the .DATA folder is in (NOT IN the DATA folder) and then open that empty file.  this will restore that .enl content.  I like to avoid writing over files as the originals are no longer recoverable, if something goes wrong. 

The directions Leanne described should work for you as well. They can be found here:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=82297

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

thomsonreuters.com

Thanks - I’ve read those two items on .Data files. I’ve got EndNote X5. Is that earlier than EndNote 7? In which case would that mean all the data is in my library enl file (excluding Groups, I presume)? In which case is it worth trying to recover it?

Thanks Jason - I will await a response to my other question but if I do have to go ahead trying what you suggest, this is just to let you know that the following is the bit of your message that I don’t understand: "replace the newly created .Data folder by placing the original in the same folder as your .enl file*. I’m not clear what “the original” is or where the folder is that contains my .enl file. Sorry to be dumb about this.

Cary

X5=15 way after Endnote 7.  These instructions work.  X5 is the latest version. 

Well, yes, this has worked up to a point, in that the EndNote library I was working with has now reappeared, complete with the groups I had created.

HOWEVER: I now have two libraries with the same name. Can I merge them or at least rename one of them before I get terminally confused?

And I still get the same dialog box each time I open EndNote telling me “My EndNote Library.enl was not found”.  Does this matter? I did have a library called “My EndNote Library” but it never had anything in it; I have been working with another library which has a different name. I am itching to get on with my work but scared that I may be laying up trouble for myself by inadvertently creating multiple libraries. I want to have all my stuff in ONE library.

Open the library you want to open, and then go into the preferences (edit> preferences  – Library settings and check if there is a library listed that it is trying to find and remove it, or change the option so it doesn’t say “open the most recent library”.  Add the open library (button on bottom) and then change the option to open specified library. 

You can rename one (or both) of your libraries - change both the “library”.enl and the “library.DATA” to the same “prefix”, or back up the whole thing to an .enlx and save it somewhere. 

Thanks Leanne. However, I can’t do the first operation because both libraries have the same name. And I don’t understand your instructions about changing the name. Do you mean that once I have changed one of the libraries to an enlx and saved it to a usb key I can change its name on the usb key? 

Yep.  but you can also double click on the endnote file to open that version, and save as, then delete the originals.  Then do the same on the other location? 

Just for clarification, your EndNote library should reside in a folder on your computer. If you open the folder where your library resides, you should see both the .enl file and the associated .Data folder.

If you open the library that contains your group information from this location, you can then use the File menu and select Save A Copy. This would allow you to create a copy of your library with a different name to whichever location you choose. Be sure to use your USB drive as only a backup location. The main library should reside on your computer hard drive.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

thomsonreuters.com