.nbib file trouble

EndNote 7 is not able to open any .nbib files that I download from pubmed. I have tried in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on my Mac (through research after I found safari is not compatible, and chrome is not reliable, but nonetheless my DL from FireFox had the same issue). All attempts result in the file being grayed out, so I am unable to select it. Any suggestions? I am new to EndNote, so my apologies if there is a simple solution I have missed. I did download the EndNote “How-To” guidebook but did not find a solution. Thanks in advance! 

Did you try the instructions here on North Carolina’s page for the desktop version?  

http://guides.lib.unc.edu/downloadtoendnote

(and make sure you are on the library mode (the first icon on the endnote toolbar) rather than the online mode (the middle button) I avoid at all costs ever being on the last mode – both.  

or are you working with the online version of endnote?  (my Chrome and IE both just import automatically if I send to citation manager, and open - so I must have ticked the box to auto-open in endnote).