New Series (Journal Volume question)

Some journals, especially those with a long history like « Science », sometimes indicate when a volume is under the “Old Series” or “New Series”. For example, an article I’m using is listed as “New Series, 4 (3)”, meaning this is the New Series volume, Volume #4, Issue #3. Now, I don’t know where and how to enter the words “New Series” when I am creating an entry for this work. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Some journals, especially those with a long history like « Science », sometimes indicate when a volume is under the “Old Series” or “New Series”. For example, an article I’m using is listed as “New Series, 4 (3)”, meaning this is the New Series, Volume #4, Issue #3. Now, I don’t know where and how to enter the words “New Series” when I am creating an entry for this work. 

Any tips?

I would guess that the year would easily distinguish between the two, and that the information isn’t necessary, but if you feel it is, you can either put the text in a custom field and use it when you need it via editing the output style, or you could enter the text in front of the volume, and have it show in all styles. 

@leanne wrote:

I would guess that the year would easily distinguish between the two, and that the information isn’t necessary, but if you feel it is, you can either put the text in a custom field and use it when you need it via editing the output style, or you could enter the text in front of the volume, and have it show in all styles. 

Hmm…unfortunately, that doesn’t make it easy because one doesn’t necessarily now when a new series begins and when one ends. It is common to put in “New Series” or “Old Series” or sometimes the number of the series if it is numerical, if the journal has such indications.

But they are definitely associated with years.  Early issues of Science did have old series (1880-1881 and started over with volume 1 in the new series (1883-1894) and then restarted again, with no notations, just volumes (from 1895- present).  So if I were quoting articles from those early dates, I would definitely consider including the os or ns in front of the volume in the volume field of the record.  http://www.sciencemag.org/archive/#1940