No consistency in in-text citation et al italics, then some not in italics

Hello,

I am using endnote X4 with Windows 7.

I am using “parasitology” style, which I dowloaded recently from the internet, after I had already inserted most of my citations.

In the text, some citations with 3 authors or more in the text are “et al” in italics ( which is the correct thing for this style) but the majority aren’t.  The ones that aren’t seem to be the majority, i.e. the oens which were placed before I downloaded the “Parasitology style”.

I went to edit/ output style/ parasitology copy/ and checked, the tick box for et al in italics is ticked. See screenshot attached below.

What else can I do?

Please note that I’m really not good at all this, so the simplest solution the better, even if it involves more steps.

Also talking about a 300 pages document with over 400 references.

Many thanks for the advise.

N.

I’m assuming you’ve set both MS Word and Endnote to use the Parasitology output style file_. (_Note that if you modified the output style by changing any option that the change will be saved to a new output style file and you will need to adjust MS Word and Endnote to use the new output style file in order for any changes to be applied.)

So assuming you are using the correct output style file make a copy of your document and save it as a backup then proceed to convert the in-text citations to unformatted citations. Do not convert the document to plaintext as it will permanently remove the links to the Endnote library references. Note that the unformatted citations will appear with curly braces. Now update the citations to generate the formatted in-text citations and bibliography.

If the in-text citations do not update to display “et al.” in italics there may be an issue with EndNote X4 as offhand I don’t recall if that software version is capable of processing the output style’s italics option which my have been a subsequent feature – suggest you contact tech support:

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)

+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

Login to Chat

I’m assuming you’ve set both MS Word and Endnote to use the Parasitology output style file_. (_Note that if you modified the output style by changing any option that the change will be saved to a new output style file and you will need to adjust MS Word and Endnote to use the new output style file in order for any changes to be applied.)

So assuming you are using the correct output style file make a copy of your document and save it as a backup then proceed to convert the in-text citations to unformatted citations. Do not convert the document to plaintext as it will permanently remove the links to the Endnote library references. Note that the unformatted citations will appear with curly braces. Now update the citations to generate the formatted in-text citations and bibliography.

If the in-text citations do not update to display “et al.” in italics there may be an issue with EndNote X4 as offhand, I don’t recall if that software version is capable of processing the output style’s italics option (which may be a post EndNote X4 enhancement)– suggest you contact tech support:

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)

+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

Login to Chat

Hello,

It worked, all in italic and consistent now! :smiley:

I realise that the citations which had trouble were the ones were I had corrected some spelling mistakes in endnote.

When I amend an endnote citation (for a manually entered citation, i.e. spelling or too many  spaces etc…), are there some special steps I need to take other than just click “Update citations and bibliography” in word?

And one last question if I may. You say in you reply:  “Note that if you modified the output style by changing any option that the change will be saved to a new output style file and you will need to adjust MS Word and Endnote to use the new output style file in order for any changes to be applied.” What do you mena by " you will need to adjust MS word"?

Thank you very much!

N.

Good you resolved your issue. Yes, any corrections to the Endnote reference records should be automatically reflected in the corresponding document. If the corrections are not updated automatically you will just need to do so manually by clicking the “Update citations and bibliography” (in MS Word).

What I meant by the phrase “adjust MS Word” is to update the style selection in the Endnote tab of the MS Word ribbon (see attached image).

And is the document using the the new “copy” version or the original?  – it should be showing on the word endnote toolbar/ribbon.