Opening Word .doc Attachments

Hello,

I’m using EndNote X6 to organize notes for my PhD dissertation, and I recently ran into a problem after setting it up on a new laptop computer.  Microsoft Word documents that I’ve attached to references in my library will not open.  Instead I get an error that says “The URL (…) could not be launched.”  It shows the location of the file between the parentheses.  The documents have been created in Word 2002 for Windows XP, and I’m running it two Windows 7 machines.  I do not have this problem with the same files on my other computer.  PDF files, text files, and .docx files can all be attached and opened with no problem.

After spending some time trying to figure this out, I’m at a loss.  Might someone here have any suggestions for me?  Thanks.

Dan

Hello Dan,

While this may seem redundant, it may be the only way to have the DOC files open consistently with Word:

1. Go a location of a .doc file on your computer.
  2. Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.
  3. Navigate to the Word software location which will vary depending on your version and operating system. For Word 2007 (for example), this would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 and choose the WINWORD.exe file.

Note: This folder will be depend on the installation location of Word and 64-bit systems will have the file installed in the “Program Files (x86)” folder rather than just “Program Files.”
4. Select the, “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”, check box, and then click OK.

Browse to a DOC file on your computer and double click it to verify that you can still open the file in Word. Then open EndNote and try opening an attached DOC file.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com