Output style for journal: Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine

Can anyone help with the following style:

List all authors up to 6; if more than 6, list the first 3 and then “et al.”

Hurley RW, Lesley MR, Adams MCB, Brummett CM, Wu CL. Pregabalin as a treatment for painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: A meta-analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2008;33:389-394.

I can get close by using ‘Anesthesiology’ and modifying style to limit number of authors, but I cannot alter the style or find another style that uses italics for the journal name.

Thank you,

Michael

I think it is in the style collection (Help>Web styles finder). But it appears to not have the JO italicized, so I added that to the attached. 

Regional Anesth Pain Med.ens (11.7 KB)

Thank you so much, it worked

Regards,

Michael

I would be grateful for some help. I have spent a few hours but trial and error has not helped. I was trying to format a bibliography for the journal “British Journal of General Practice”. They use the Vancouver style. This much was straightforward. They do however use the NLM abbreviations of the Journal names. I could not find a compatible style. I tried editing the Vancouver style with the 3 options for abbreviations but none of them do the trick. I  am about to give up and do it all by hand. I am sure there must be a way of using the NLM abbreviations in the style.

Happy for any advice.

You need to import a Journal terms list, I suspect.  See here for the instructions.  Then selecting the abreviation options in the style will work.

http://endnote.com/kb/82228 

Also turn off the ‘update’ setting in the preferences - so new imported journals don’t mess up the terms list.   

Thanks for your prompt advice. I have had a look at the tutorial quite a few times now and done what it says. It still does not reformat the journal name to abbreviations as per the NLM guidelines. I seem to remember the older version of Endnote being much better at this.

I have then tried to edit the bibliography by hand. It did get messed up on a subsequent editing. I have a feeling  that I would have spent much less time doing it by hand.

It has always done it the same way.  

Are you saying that none of the “columns” in your terms list conform to NLM abbreviations?  I haven’t downloaded a new one in “forever”.  – And you did then edit your output style to point to the correct column?  (and deleted first, the existing terms list).  

And if you changed the output style, did you save it to a new name, and make sure you are using the new output style with the correct abbreviation option selected in the document and not just in Endnote?

The funny thing is that it did modify some of the journal names to the NLM abbreviations but it did not do for the others. I was looking at some of them and did not check them all. Rather than struggle with it, I hand edited them. I would still like to figure out what is wrong. Obviously “the british journal of general practice” is not in the league of Lancet/NEJM and do not have their style on endnote. They use the NLM abbreviations in the Vancouver style but this cannot be amended withing endnote. I must say that I am an infrequent user of endnote and may have used it less number of times than my fingers and toes put together in the last ten years. I find that it is fantastic and has been everytime that I have used it before. Thanks for your help.

regards

@appaps wrote:

The funny thing is that it did modify some of the journal names to the NLM abbreviations but it did not do for the others. I was looking at some of them and did not check them all. Rather than struggle with it, I hand edited them. I would still like to figure out what is wrong. Obviously “the british journal of general practice” is not in the league of Lancet/NEJM and do not have their style on endnote. They use the NLM abbreviations in the Vancouver style but this cannot be amended withing endnote. I must say that I am an infrequent user of endnote and may have used it less number of times than my fingers and toes put together in the last ten years. I find that it is fantastic and has been everytime that I have used it before. Thanks for your help.

regards

I really don’t understand.  The journal abbreviations terms list apply to all output styles, and modifying an output style (after finding one that is close) is the power of endnote.  I really dislike the fact that there are 5000 styles.  There should be about 20 or so that cover most requirements and get tweeked to fulfill the publishers ecl.  The Vancouver Style can be amended in endnote.  I wish I could sit down with you and show you how it all works seamlessly, once it is set up?!  Adding a few more Journals to the Terms list isn’t that difficult?  

Hi Leanne

I have had the same problem with finding the right style for the journal: Regional anesthesia and pain medicine. I have downloaded your attachment, but the style does not live up to the demands from the journal. I have found their demands for citations and reference list on their submission side:

Please note that our style uses full page numbering and italicized journal names.

• Numbering:  Number references consecutively in the order which they are cited in the text, tables, and legends.
  • Formatting:  Double-space between all lines of each reference and between references.
  • Identifying:  Use Arabic numerals in superscript (eg, “Smith et al.2”) to identify references in text, tables, and legends.
  • Accuracy:  Verify all references against their original published source.
  • Style:  Abbreviate journal titles according to the style found in Index Medicus. The style of references must be based on the format used by the US National Library of Medicine in Index Medicus.

List all authors up to 6; if more than 6, list the first 3 and then “et al.”

Hurley RW, Lesley MR, Adams MCB, Brummett CM, Wu CL. Pregabalin as a treatment for painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: A meta-analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2008;33:389-394.

As far as I can see, does the endnote style for the journal not give the references a number, in the reference list the articles are not listed in the order they are cited but after alphabet and only the first 3 authors are listed in every article. Can you recommend me another style to use? or can the Regional anesth and pain medicine style be changed?

Hope you can help me.