keep getting the wrong style

Hi,

I writing an article using EndNote X4, I need to use BMJ style for this paper. I have downloaded their style template, where it is instracted to:

"BMJ reference style:

List the names and initials of all authors if there are 3 or fewer; otherwise list the first 3 and add ‘et al.’ (The exception is the Journal of Medical Genetics, which lists all authors). Use one space only between words up to the year and then no spaces. The journal title should be in italic and abbreviated according to the style of Medline. If the journal is not listed in Medline then it should be written out in full.

Exemple:

Koziol-Mclain J, Brand D, Morgan D, et al. Measuring injury risk factors: question reliability in a statewide sample. Inj Prev 2000;6:148–50."

but i keep getting this style:

Warren AC, Chakravarti A, Wong C, et al. Evidence for reduced recombination on the nondisjoined chromosomes 21 in Down syndrome. Science 1987; 237 (4815):652-4

even though it shows that i’m using the right style.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help

From your example it looks like the bibliography template needs to be modified to italicize the journal name, non-bold volume number, and exclude issue numbers. Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct.

And of course there are different instructions for every type of source: journal, book. etc.

that’s why I don’t want to manually chance the style, I just what it work automatically. This is the main reason I am working with EndNote.

Is there anything I can do?

There are over 2000 styles and if a journal/publisher changes (or never was correct) in the first place,someone needs to tell TR so they can update it.  

If an Output Style is missing or needs updating to match the publisher requirements, you can submit a request through their EndNote Request Form:

http://endnote.com/info/output-style-request

but that usually takes time and the wonder of endnote is that we can modify the output styles as needed. There is a guide to the process and links are available here

If you attach the current version you are using (assume it is the Sept 2011 version available for download?) and the author instructions, one of us other users can give it a go?  Sometimes other publications from the same publisher stable have been updated to reflect new guidance as well.  

After many false starts, are these the correct instructions?  I had a devil of a time finding them.  But it says to follow Vancouver style – – So perhaps you can follow vancouver style, but it doesn’t say to italicized the journal then, I don’t believe?  – And here it says if more than 6 list first 3, not if more than 3 list 3?  I attach a version of BMJ Case studies where I unbolded the Vol number and italicized the journal, and did change to 4 or more list the first 3 – but to be sure it is correct for all ref types, I would need the original link to the instructions you are trying to follow.  

http://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-authors/house-style

References

Authors must verify references against the original documents before submitting the article.

References should be numbered in the order in which they appear in the text. At the end of the article the full list of references should follow the Vancouver style.  

Please give the names and initials of all authors (unless there are more than six, when only the first three should be given followed by et al).

The authors’ names are followed by the title of the article; the title of the journal abbreviated according to the style of Index Medicus; the year of publication; the volume number; and the first and last page numbers.

References to books should give the names of any editors, editor, and year. Examples:

21 Soter A, Wasserman SI, Austen KF. Cold urticaria: release into the circulation of histamine and eosinophil chemotactic factor of anaphylaxis during cold challenge. N Engl J Med 1976;294:687-90

22 Osler AG. Complement: mechanisms and functions. Prentice-Hall, 1976.

For material published online, give the authors, title, date or year of publication as given on the web page, and URL.

Please add the URL if material (such as official reports) is available online as well as in print.

Information from manuscripts not yet in press or not yet published online, papers reported at meetings, or personal communications should be cited only in the text, not as a formal reference.

Authors should get permission from the source to cite personal communications.

Electronic citations

You may know of other websites that will interest people reading your article. If you know the web addresses (URLs) of those sites, please include them in the relevant places in the text of your article. If we accept your article we will insert hotlinks in the electronic version so that people using bmj.com can jump directly from your article to those related sites.

BMJ Case Studies no bold.ens (20.4 KB)

Thank you for the great attempt to help!

Unfortunately, I do need the BMJ style, since it’s for one of their papers and not the BMJ itself. The paper is Journal of medical genetics.

It’s not possible to add the direct link (I keep getting “wrong HTML file”) so i’m adding the link in the attached file.

Thank you once again

ref.txt (78 Bytes)

yes, the forum has a block on adding a url for newer members.  It helps cut down on spam I guess.  

and this is exactly why you have to be so specific in your request and provide the journal name and the link to author instructions.    

You can request at the link below that they update the Journal of medical genetics style on their website, so it is fixed for everyone?

http://journals.bmj.com/site/authors/preparing-manuscript.xhtml#references 

So I downloaded the one on endnote site for this journal, and took away the bold, and Italicized the Journal title.  I think there was a book title I needed to italicize as well.  Not sure if you have any prepublication DOIs and need to retain the DOI info in the template.  (If so then you need to delete the DOIs from the record, once they are in print). 

(I forgot to post the link – and now I am at home!  – but isn’t the one below essentially correct?)

Thank you so much for al the help!!

Looking forward for the link!