Problem with output styles

I am trying to export a file of references in APA 6th Annotated format to another folder on my computer. I am using End Note X5. Even though I have specified I want the references to be in APA 6th format in the Style Manager, and in the Export File Name box it shows the Output Style as APA 6th Annotated, in Rich Text Format, all I get when I open the saved file in MS Word 2010 in the other folder is the generic Author-Date format. What can I do to make the output file save the references in APA 6th format? When I was creating the bibliography, the Style pane was in Author-Date mode. Do I have to create the bibliography in a particular style to be able to output/export references in that style?

@animalcom wrote:

I am trying to export a file of references in APA 6th Annotated format to another folder on my computer… What can I do to make the output file save the references in APA 6th format? When I was creating the bibliography, the Style pane was in Author-Date mode. Do I have to create the bibliography in a particular style to be able to output/export references in that style?

Yes, you will need to select the style prior to exporting in order to have the exported references appear in the desired format. 

For example, you are working with APA 6th Annotated but if you want the exported references to be changed to the basic APA 6th format suggest you also select this style via the Output Styles Manager (i.e., place a check mark in the box) so it’s available in addition to the APA 6th Annotated style.  Then once you’re ready to export, change the style from APA 6th Annotated to APA 6th, then export the references.

I tried that, but still get the default Author-Date style.

Can you attach a screen shot of the export dialog as you perform the dump? 

Here’s a screen shot. I am trying to export all of the references in a Group, so I highlight all of those references once I open the Group, and then hit the Up Arrow Export button, which gives me this screen shot. Prior to that I went to Edit, then Output Styles, and changed the Style to APA 6th Annotated, which is how I want to output file to read in Word 2010. But all I get is the basic default Author-Date format for the references. What am I doing wrong?

EndNote Screen Shot.jpg

If you check the APA 6th’s Annotated output style’s templates, the field “Research Notes” is added to each template - so information in the Research Notes field will be exported along with the rest of the bibliographic field information noted in each template (see attached image).  If you didn’t have any information in the Research Notes field, nothing will be exported.

What information were you expecting to be exported - “Abstract”? If you wanted to have a different field such as “Abstract” exported, you will need to modify each of the templates by replacing “Research Notes” with “Abstract”. (After modifying the templates, the style will be saved as a “Copy”: APA 6th Annotated Copy. So adjust both EndNote and MS Word to use the “copy” file.)

APA6thAnnotated_BibliographyTemplates.gif

I am expecting to import references formatted according to the APA style into a new Word 2010 file. I have used the Edit commands to choose APA 6th style, used the Export command to output the references to a Word 2010 file, and STILL all of the references come out formatted according to the basic default author-date style, and not the APA 6th style. I have tried to do this same procedure for the Ecology style, with the same results of generic author-date as output. Do I have a defective version of End Note X5, or is there something that I should be doing that will solve this problem?

By experimenting, I still am unable to make the APA styles work, but if I switch to the Ecology style and do not highlight all of the references in a Group but just highlight the Group in the My Library pane, I can get End Note to output all of the references in that Goup to a Word 2010 file in the Ecology style. I am OK using the Ecology style for my work.

Thank you for your help. I still do not understand why it does what it does with the APA styles or when I highlight the references, but right now the important thing for me is to get results, and I can get them using the method I described above with the Ecology style.