Reference output: introduction to a book by another author?

Hi!

The problem I have is this: how can insert, in endnote X2, the author of a book of which I am citing the introduction. E.g. Tom Introducer has written an introduction to Conrad’s Nostromo edited by Harry Editor, how would I be able to get in the name of Conrad? In MLA style this would normally give this:

Harry, Tom. “Introduction.” Nostromo. By Joseph Conrad. Ed. Harry Editor. London: Some Publisher, year.

I’m new to this forum and could not immediately find this sort of question answered. If somebody can help me or refer me to another topic, my thanks.

Found it: there is an “original publication” entry.

Hi everyone!

Sorry to break open this topic again, but I don’t get it. I’m new to Endnote. Could someone explain to me step by step (or point me to an explanation) how to refer to an introduction (or preface, or afterword etc.) to a book?

Many thanks!

i would probably try adding it as a “book section” reference type. Does that give you want you need?

Thanks Leanne.
No, that doesn’t work. For Chicago Style, for example, it needs to look like this:

Footnote
Caroline Baumann, foreword to Scraps: Fashion, Textiles, and Creative Reuse, by Susan Brown and Matilda McQuaid (New York: Cooper Hewitt, 2016), iv.

Bibliography
Lyon, Corbett. Introduction to Out of the Ordinary: Popular Art, Architecture and Design, by Derham Groves, ix-xv. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012.

but I don’t know how that differs from the book section output. Can you insert the text “foreword to Scraps: Fashion, Textiles, and Creative Reuse” in the title field?

The correct and most complete alternative is to create a new reference type – maybe “Book Parts” – (in preferences >references types>modify reference types, select an “unused” one, or repurpose one that you never use anyway) and map it similar to the book section one where your book part is in the title field and you can either include the word “to” or use the template for that new ref type (which you also need to create in the output style) to always enter the word after the field and before the book title (which is held in the secondary title field). a start is shown below

To create the ref type template in the output style, I would first copy the book section output and tweak it as necessary. You need to learn to use “separation” and “link adjacent” characters to ensure the associated punctuation and spaces are connected with the appropriate fields. A first stab is below, but could need additional tweaking.

Author. Part to| Book Title|, by Book Author.| (Place Published|: Publisher|, Year|). Pages|.

Also note that the computer this is done on, is the only one it will work with unless you export your ref type table and import it into other computers’ (or other users’ logged into the same machine) Endnote program.