Searching within groups only

Apologies if this has been asked 100 times before but I was unable to locate an answer.

I have groups set up in endnote according to my courses. When I write my paper I want to search for specific terms. I enter my search word in the box at the top near the help question mark and then endnote searches all of my references in all courses whereas I only want to it to search within one specific group.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

This should work just be clicking on the group you want to search so list is what is active in the library list and then doing the search.

- Tilla, the EndNote team

Yes, I have  been bitten by that, in the opposite way.  I wanted to search all the records, but I was (inadvertently) in a group and it automatically only searched the group!  oh well, you can’t please everyone all the time!

Thank you for your reply. I must be doing something wrong.  I click on my group and then I go to the ‘quick search’ field at the top and enter my search but it then gives me results from every reference I have in every group.

Does it sound like I am doing something the wrong way

What version of Endnote are you using.  You may have to change the dropdown in the upper corner of the search window to “search showing”?  It is auto-selected in X6 anyway. 

Thanks Leanne

I realised I was back in the dark ages using 5.01. I have now ugraded to 6 and can see the show search panel button and when I use my search that way it does search the group I want. It just seems to search all groups when using the quick search field…which might be what it’s for.

Thanks for your help…off to familiarise myself with v6!